Blocking MSN messenger...

inbrino

Baseband Member
I leave my laptop on all the time when im not around, and my sister uses messenger against my wishes, I let it go usually, but she has p***sed me off and needs to learn a lesson.

I know it sounds petty, but how can I stop her from doing this! Is there a way to block it so that it doesnt work?

Please help!!!
Thanks in advance!!!

*edit.

Duh, I just thought that I can use zone alarm to block her. Anything else I could do incase she finds out how to configure zone alarm?

Well if ya have got a router, then maybe you could block the port on there, and then password protect the router

Raffaz said:
Well if ya have got a router, then maybe you could block the port on there, and then password protect the router

MSN can use any ports it wants, it's extremely hard to block it at a network level.

Raffaz said:

You can't simply block off ports as you can specify it to use new ones.

Blocking off the messenger servers is another good idea, however theirs alot of them, and you can proxy off of them.

The only true method of getting this to work is content filtering such as Cisco's NBAR. I'm 99% sure their is a preset policy for msn even though I can't find it right now.

The one thing MSN does though, is use it's own protocol. This makes content filtering VERY easy to use in order to block msn. It's just that content filtering is expensive.

Its just for his sister tho, so i doubt she will be to work it out. Just thinking, is there not a service that MSN requires? Maybe that could be disabled, never looked into it.

These things will work, but it is more than the average user needs to do.

Just 1. uninstall the program

or if you want to be More secure

1. uninstall the program
2. create a guest account
3. password protect your account
4. let the user login with the guest account

Another thought:

(she dont know about webmessenger does she?)

Obviously un-installing is the easiest way to do it...

but also you could set a password and lock the machine when you get up and leave it.
thats the simplest solution.

Back
Top Bottom