Home Recording Studio setup?

I am wondering what everyone is using as far as mixers and interface. I have some gear I am looking into getting. Looking at a Mackie 1402-VLZ PRO for the board and a Behringer U-Control
(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-UCONTROL-UCA202-USBAudio-Interface?sku=702540) for the audio interface. I will mainly do just acoustic, keyboard and vocals. I am also wondering if anyone has recorded with a Beta58? I have that for my live mic but am afraid its too hot for recording. THANKS!

Okay i do some recording, I am a DJ and do some mixtape recording.

First off, the mic won't be too hot. I know it's far more sensitive than average, but this just means you don't need to amplify the signal as much on the board. This should also give you a lower noise floor. I personally use SM58's which are just the more classic version of your mic as well, whenever I need to do anything with vocals.

Second off for the sound card, never used that one before (or even heard about it) However i know for $30 you dont get much at all. I'd recommend the audiophile 2496 or 192, which are both more expensive but their professional quality cards. The audiophile 192 has the advantage of using balanced 1/4" instead of RCA, as well as a monitor output. Sounds the same as the 2496, which is the card I use. I use the 2496 because my mixer outputs RCA.

As for the mixer, recording mixers are not really my thing, but mackie has always been great :)

dmb51599 said:
So running 1/4" inputs from the out channel is better than running RCA out?

Yes if possible it's better. It's a higher quality connector and usually 1/4" outputs are balanced, so they will not pickup electrical noise that would usually mix with the audio.

Back
Top Bottom