Which laptop should i buy?

Im gonna say the HP, so im gonna go with that one, as ive never dealt with gateway

Seriously, you're best off with the Gateway. The warranty terms are better and also, the system is more adequate. The specs on it beats the HP one from the GPU, but not the CPU. Although, they are the same speed, only difference is that the HP system bus is UP TO 1600MHZ while the Gateway IS 1600MHZ. The only advantage I really see with HP is that the drive has Lightscribe.

Get the Gateway.

I'm not very familiar with gateway notebooks, but i do know that HP notebooks are pretty reliable and good quality.. personally i'd go with the HP. and the hard drive on the HP has more rpms than the gateway.

What about the GPU's the Gateway is a ATI RADEON XPRESS 1150

Whill the HP is a NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150

Is one better then the other?

I wouldnt get either of them, if you want them for playing games.

Dont get shared video memory, get Dedicated video memory.

Look for graphics along the lines of

ATI Mobility Radeon X800 (XT)
nVidia Go 7400
nVidia GeForce Go 6800 (Ultra)
256MB NVidia GeForce Go 7900 GS
256MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1800

and if you can swing it get a 7200RPM hard drive, Trust me its worth it :D

*HYPERMEMORY AND TURBOCACHE

With the advent of PCI Express, ATI and nVidia have developed technologies that allow the use of system memory as a buffer for graphics data, basically extending the memory of the dedicated GPU itself into system memory. The nice thing is that this can offer a healthy and very inexpensive performance boost for chips that would otherwise be painfully crippled.

The problem is that system memory is almost always slower than dedicated GPU memory, so it's no substitute for having dedicated memory.

Worse still, low-end parts that use this technology are frequently marketed in a misleading fashion. For example, newer Sony S-series notebooks use GeForce Go 6200s that list as having 128MB of video memory when in fact they only have 32; that 96 is shared. Likewise, there's been a lot of confusion regarding the amount of actual memory on the ATI X300s used in Dell notebooks.

It's my understanding that the major culprits of this are the GeForce Go 6200, 6400, and the X300. But while the X300 may be marketed as having HyperMemory, the GeForce Go parts tend to gloss over their use of TurboCache.

One great thing about HyperMemory over TurboCache is that it's almost entirely software, so most ATI cards, with some tweaking, can use it, though the performance improvement is largely minor.*

Back
Top Bottom