I Need An Opinion

theaztecchief

Beta member
HI,

I AM NEW TO THE FORUM, BUT NOT PCS/NETWORKING. I HAVE SOME WORKING KNOWLEDGE OF MANY TOPICS SUCH AS JAVA SCRIPT. SOMEONE PASSED THIS TO ME CONCERNING IP ADDRESSES THAT KNOWS NOTHING, BUT LOVES TO THROW AROUND TERMS BUT DOESNT EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN . CAN YOU PLEASE DEBUNK THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT AS JIBERISH THE INTERGER THEY ARE SPEAKING OF BEING THE IP ADDRESS (LIKE 192.X.X.X.) OF A PC:

"Java Script is the "interger" that represents the ones and zeros. When you sign on your comp. it is routed to a server, in turn that server "decodes" the java script (intergers) and displays the IP address, as you wrote. But the comp IP (server) has it as would be deciphered by FBI like you say in a series of ones and zeros and then can trace it right to your comp, address, etc... You can also split intergers, form in consecutive order and so on.... how do you think terrorists are able to manipulate "servers" and INS is able to track them ?"

Pardon? Firstly turn caps lock off please, and secondly I don't understand what you mean at all.

The IP "192.x.x.x" is a local IP as far as I know. As an example, 192.168.0.1 is used as a local IP. But I don't get what you are referring too with JS and the like..

What I am asking is, does this statement mean anything to you, or is it just jiberish as it is to me? This is a statement made by someone who is describing attributes of an IP address refered to in this paragraph as an interger.

"Java Script is the "interger" that represents the ones and zeros. When you sign on your comp. it is routed to a server, in turn that server "decodes" the java script (intergers) and displays the IP address, as you wrote. But the comp IP (server) has it as would be deciphered by FBI like you say in a series of ones and zeros and then can trace it right to your comp, address, etc... You can also split intergers, form in consecutive order and so on.... how do you think terrorists are able to manipulate "servers" and INS is able to track them ?"

No, its a load of bollocks basically..

The "ones and zeros" he was talking about is called binary. Nothing of the sort gets "routed" to a server and nothing decodes any Java Script (JS is a webpage coding language). The FBI would not decipher anything of the sort and could easily find out your IP without use of any Java Scripting and binary. And god knows what he on about when he refers to terrorist servers..

If I was you, I would go up to n00b of a friend and tell him how much of a 'tard he is.

the statement is complete and utter bollocks.

Javascript is an interperated scripting language, an IP adderss is a series of ones and zeros, (binary) octets that are displayed as decimals simply to make it easier for us mere mortals to understand.

when you turn on yuor computer you get an IP address, (either staicall assgned, or takn from a DHCP server).
whenever you broadcast on the internet you send your IP address as a part of the packet, this is smiply because TCP/IP communication is a 2 way stream, any packages sent must have a return address.

if you send a packet, it can be traced back to the computer that sent it.

not that i didn't say that it can be traced back to your computer, as there are a few ways that you can get around things being able to be traced back to you, whilst still completnig the idea of sendnig a TCP/IP packet that has a header address to return to.

One of these ways is proxying requests.
in this way you request that a server makes a request on your behalf, that way the people who would be watching you get details of a proxy server rather than your machine requesting connections.

a second way, simillar to proxying is using onion routing, or using tor servers.
the basic principal here is that you use selective packet routing.
so you send a packet to a router, that router then forwards your packet to another router, and that forwards to another etc, until finally your request reaches it's destinaion and is routed back through all the layers of routers. (layers is where the opnion bit comes from).

each router only knows what router the packet last came from, and where you send it to.

this is a very slow and resource intensive way of routing things. but it is essential;ly fool proof, it's a concept designed by the military to keep information secret.
there is little hope of ever tracing a packet that has been onion routed.

especially if hops on that journey are through other countries. like Russia, or worse, china,
assuming that you want to trace a packet because there has been an ilegal activity, then how do you go about asking countries for help who don't consider it a crime?

so...
in shotr.

yes, that statement about Javascript having anything to do with IP addresses is bull.
IP addresses can be extractde from packets, if you are listening on a network, you don't have to be the FBI though. any one can listen on a network segment (FBI/terrorists/me or even you -with the right [frrely available] tools).
the internet is a practical safehaven for terrorists, but only if they know how to use it correctly.

This is going to get good guys, this person is going to come here and debate this. They may sign on with the name WheatBreadWhite, a White supremist who posts under the immigration and other questionable boards over at AOL. Still says they are right. he he he

Well, I look forward to his posts being deleted, and him being banned. I haven't been here all that long, but I don't think someone like that is very welcome.

Back
Top Bottom