Media Center and XP? Difference?

k0nfident

Baseband Member
I'd like to know what is the difference between both.

Also what does OEM stands for? Like I have MS-WIN XP PRO OEM EN 1PK W/VISTA COUPON

OEM is basically.. just the software/hardware. WIN XP PRO OEM would be just the installer and product key. This is opposed to the retail version which comes with manuals and a bunch of other stuff.

TRDCorolla said:
To put it in simple terms, Media Center is XP Home with Media Center add-ons. I rather get XP Pro.

Its actually pro, with an extra gui for media, but the ability to join a Domain is removed in the GUI. Ya can get round this during windows setup though.

I didn't even know there was a new Media Center out. I remember the specs for the 04 and apparently, the MCE 2005 is much improved with HD support and the dual tuner support. I don't know about the Pro part. I'm still thinking it's based on Home Edition core but with a lot of tweaks to it.

If it's about Media or whatsoever, I don't really mind.

As long as I can play games, i'm fine :)

LeoZ said:
If it's about Media or whatsoever, I don't really mind.

As long as I can play games, i'm fine :)

If ya just want it for gaming, and ya dont require any of the security features etc of pro then ya might aswell just buy the home edition

I've found that media center had a lot of stability issues. I had it on my PC before I got a new HDD with Home Edition OEM and I had nothing but trouble with it. The media center liked to crash a lot and wouldn't load a lot of the time. I prefer home edition because it's cheaper and it seems to be more stable. Pro is good too but I have no use for all the extra stuff in it.

Im running MCE 2005 now and ive never had problems with it, ya must have been one of the unlucky ones :)

Back
Top Bottom