Question about IDE

akshay313

In Runtime
no difference.

e-ide stands for enhanced ide

wikipedia said:
Enhanced IDE (EIDE), an extension to original ATA standard again developed by Western Digital, allowed the support of drives having a storage capacity larger than 528 megabytes (504 mebibytes), up to 8.4 gigabytes. Although these new names originated in branding convention and not as an official standard, the terms IDE and EIDE often appear as if interchangeable with ATA

Well, all boards are now E-IDE. The old IDE goes back the 128MB drives and such. So, that drive will require manual configs. Second, any cable, even that old 128MB disk will work. It's a wire transfering data. It's stupid, because there's no chips or any EPROM installed on it. So, yes, ANY wire will do.

lhuser, little buddy you are wrong.
He needs to use 80 wire udma/ata133 cables. Round and shielded would be the cable of choice. Modern systems can sense the cable and will limit the speed the device on the cable can go. So if he uses a 40 wire cable with a device that can go udma 5, it may only reach to udma 3 or 4. Not the full potential of the device.
And if the bios is set to auto configure it will retrieve the data from the chip in the device and set itself up. You CAN manually configure a drive but unless it's an older than dirt drive why bother?

ok... this isnt good. i just ordered my computer based on what he told me. Do i just need one of those 80 wire umda/ata133 cords? or does my motherboard have to support ata 133?

99 percent of modern boards are ata133. To get better performance, translation the max bang for your bucks, use 80 wire cables. You can use 80 wire flat ribbon but they get in the way of good air flow.

That's strange. My 4 year old MSI goes 133. Check the cable when you get the kit and see if it's a 80 wire. If not I'd still get a 80 wire cable.

Back
Top Bottom