Socket 7 Goodness

D-Lew

Fully Optimized
Alright guys, here's the deal.

If you have been browsing the social section you might have come across my thread and know I found a computer lately that was gutted. Well, I want to bring it back to life. I'm hoping some of you guys could help me pick out some old parts for the thing. From what I can gather, it would cost around $40-50 to get it up and running again assuming everything on the board is alright. Here's what I need:

CPU + Heatsink/Fan
RAM
Hard Drive (think I have this covered already)
Optical Drive
Floppy (not really necessary)

And of course a display but I'm not worried about that now.
Here is some information on the board that pertains to the parts I need.
(http://www.pcchipsusa.com/prod-m598lmr.asp)
Socket-7 Processor Support
- Supports all recent socket-7 processors including Intel P55C
(Pentium MMX), Cyrix/IBM 6x86L/6x86MX/MII, AMD K6/
K6-2, and IDT C6 CPUs
- Supports socket-7 processors with system bus frequencies of
60/66/75/83/95/100 MHz
- CPU Plug and Play support let the firmware automatically
configure the CPU
- 512K/1MB external Level 2 cache memory is provided onboard

Memory Support
- 3 Dimm slots for 3.3V SDRAM 168-pin memory modules
- Support for 66 MHz and 100 MHz memory bus
- Maximum installed memory can be 3 x 256 MB = 768 MB

So here's the question... which is faster: AMD K6-2 or Pentium MMX? I actually own an MMX and hate it but I'm wondering if AMD was worse back then. If you can find me a good processor for this socket and bus frequencies that would be great.

Suggest some parts for me. I really don't know what to look for here since I'm not familiar with technology this old.

The plan is to run a low resource Linux on here, any help would be appreciated.

I had a Pentium MMX, and me neighbour had the K6-2, mine seemed faster back then

OK, thanks for the tip. I hope linux runs better than WinME cause we had that on the 200MHz MMX machine with 32MB RAM and it was so terrible. But maybe I can find a good deal on a 233MHz MMX.

Edit: lhuser, what do you mean by "a pain?"

my friend had a 500mhz k6 ... it seemed really nice. it was an upgrade fomr the 233 cyrix..... what a nasty cpu i hated it lol

What I mean by a pain is that it can be super slow with Windows XP. It just won't work fast like a PIII or PII. My celeron 366 machine even beated that thing without constant reboots.

Back
Top Bottom