Monitor Buying Advice

Classy6

Beta member
'Ello Chaps

Decided it's time for me to buy a new 'multi-purpose' monitor. At the moment, the monitor I have is pretty alright, it's a 17" "Philips 170B2" and does what I wanted it to do when I bought it 4 odd years ago.

Now the monitor is to small, has a few dead pixels and I need something a bit newer and easier on the eyes.

Already decided I'm going to need an LCD flatscreen, no CRTs. Has to be at least 20"+ as I want this monitor to be sufficent to act as a TV aswell as a PC monitor (Why I want it to be a fairly big size). Although I'm not entirely sure whether you can have one for both those tasks or what to look for to tell if it can?

I've read a bit about refresh rates, screen ratios and screen resolution but don't completely understand what's good and whats not. Some assistance in that area would be appreciated also :)

Budget can be streched a little as ideally I would like this to be a Tv and Pc monitor so I don't have to go out and spend an extra £X to buy a Tv.

TIA,

Chris :cool:

I like this one

but yeah a price range would be nice...

and if you have a TV tuner in the PC or whether your monitor/TV needs to have a tuner in it would be helpful as well...this one has a TV tuner...

Just get as as high brightness and contrast aas you can in your price range. And read some reviews

I'm in the Uk chaps 8)

And I've got about 600 quid to spend maybe more maybe less.

DVI or VGA? No idea? Definitions?

Thought my comp had a Tv tuner in it, having second thoughts now as I've never bothered to check before.

Can any recommend sites to have a look around, I checked amazon didn't seem to have much, nor did PC world.

Ta

Get DVI if you can, check if your PC outputs DVI. Look for a white connecter for a monitor. It should have lots of little holes and a section where it looks like a +.
Check google if you're not sure about it

Back
Top Bottom