CPU Overheating

Sorry about the double post here.
Check to see if your cpu fan is running and running at the right speed for the amount of heat. It should rev up when the cpu temps go up. Also if you installed your heatsink/fan you may have put on too much thermal paste. If this is the case the paste acts like a blanket. If after checking all other possibilties you may have to resort to remounting the heatsink. You only need to use a dab the size of a grain of rice. Spread evenly and reinstall the heatsink.

Incipient said:
also, if i take the side of my case off i still have the overheating problem, if that means anything.
That means quite a lot, now we're back to the Zalman/cpu attachment.

What thermal compound did you use?

DILLIGAF said:
That means quite a lot, now we're back to the Zalman/cpu attachment.

What thermal compound did you use?
not really. same thing was with mine when i took the side panel off. taking the panel off can sometimes make it worse. because improper airflow is evident. i completly agree with setishock on this. arn't motherboard's and such designed 2 have rear exaust anyway?

about having problems with front exhaust, i have an antec server case, which has a grill the entire way down the front of the fans, so the airflow is sufficent there.

i do not have a buildup of pressure in the computer as there is many gaps in the tower that any pressure differance will escape through.

my cpu fan is running at max rpm, and so are all my casefans.

i have Arctic Alumina Premium Ceramic Polysynthetic Thermal Compund. i have also used Arctic Silver 5 with little differance in temps.

as i said before, ill try reversing the flow of the fans and see what that does :)

thanks,
AndrewVinci

You will be surprised how much fan arrangement can affect temps. Ideally you want about the same amount going in as out usually leaning more towards out, you really need fresh air in there to pass by the CPU fan.

This is a build I just finished. The case is a full server tower with a large filtered fan grill in the front. The 3 80mm's pull in from the front and the 120mm blows out the back.
I know this may appear to be a plug for my site but it doesn't matter if you sign up or not. What it is, is a visual reference to what we've been trying to tell you. Give it a looking over and you'll see what we mean about the fan layout.
http://computervitals.com/forum/showthread.php/building-behemoth-7337.html

you guys are awsome, you dont know how long iv been looking for a solution to this! :D

and yes, computers DONT like having air flow reversed :) cut my temps by over 10 deg C idle and 15 deg C load lol.

too everyone that posted ideas, they were great, many thanks :)

cheers,
AndrewVinci

edit : SetiShock, your detalied post is awsome! it has everything about every step of what you do, very helpfull(and slightly inspiring for me to make one myself :p) thanks for that!

Thats a good result, another thing you may want to look at is cable management, I'm not sure how the inside of your case looks but tidy cabling can also help with cooling by increasing the airflow.

That's a fact. All that work you do to get the fans straightened out and if the inside looks like a birds nest it's all been in vain.
"Cable straps are my friends"... :cool:

Incipient said:
....well i have 2 intake at the back and the side is also intake. the PSU (12cm fan) and the two front fans are both exhaust.

and the zalman as far as i know is properly installed, and i use a blob of thermal paste, and the first time i took off the heatsink, the blob was well compressed, so at least that time it was making contact.

method.
1) insert bracket arm under both of the original mounting clips(intel cpu)
2)add small blob of thermal paste to middle of CPU.
3) place HSF on CPU, and screw down screws one turn at a time such that even presure is applied to the CPU all the time.
4) connect power cable. done?

thanks,
AndrewVinci

Did you spread the paste around on the cpu chip or just set the heatsink down on it(the blob of thermal paste)? If you didn't spread it around you have areas of the cpu not getting cooled. Those parts of the cpu chip are not making contact with the heatsink. We call those hotspots and they're bad news.

Back
Top Bottom