Remote Desktop Question.

aff1993

In Runtime
LOOK!! I Need Help LOOK!!

:confused: Hi, i have a PC and a laptop which i want to make a network for because my Laptop has nothing on it, i want Visual Basic 2005 on my laptop but its on my PC, you see my PC has 768MB RAM with a Celeron D processor 2.2ghz with Windows XP Home SP2 and its fast enough, whereas My little old laptop has 64MB RAM and a 233mhz Processor with Windows XP Home SP1.
If i do a remote desktop will my laptop use the PC's procesor and ram so i can run all of my favourite programs from my PC on my laptop????
:D Thanks

Basically no as far as i know, it will allow u to connect to the other comp. This allows you to use the data, applications, and network resources that are on your other computer. But you wont be combining processor power from both computers

erm if you where planning on using microsofts in built remote desktop you cant because you can only use windows xp pro as a client in remote desktop and so you would need to upgrade your dektop to win xp pro and then you would be able to use the laptop to connect to the desktop

if you where planning on using microsofts inbuild then you may want to find another remote desktop application like win VNC (freeware)
and yes i believe the software will use the desktops processor and ram etc

Yeah, like recommended, above use VNC.

And for viewing the PC, I recommend you use UltraVNC as it has more features for controlling the PC with.

it will use the "servers" CPU and RAM the only thing your laptop needs is a good connection to the network as to not be laggy...

and they use VNC here at work...i dont use it but they use it as a UNIX server for some simulation software and noone complains

crossover cable should cover this works for me running macromedia flash over crossover cable cos my home pc has a larger screen than my laptop

Yes, if you RD to the desktop and run programs on the desktop machine within the RD console then it is using the resources of the desktop so should work fine

But you cant connect through remote desktop on the network because they all have the same IP adress so it will say your are connecting to yourself (that is using the one built in Microsoft)
Im not 100% sure but i tried it before and that is what it says, Please correct me if im wrong.

I could be wrong but i think you could be getting mixed up with networking to a server, and RD. Heres a bit taken from microsofts site "With the Remote Desktop feature in Windows XP, you can remotely control a computer from another office, from home, or while traveling. This allows you to use the data, applications, and network resources that are on your office computer, without being in your office. In the Illustration below, you can see that an Systems Administrator can quickly (and securely) get into their corporate offices and do that, system down, no problem, you can fix from anywhere you can find an Internet connection that is stable enough to let you work.".
There is no mention in there of sharing RAM, or CPU power, If im wrong can someone post a detailed answer about it for me. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom