Slow booting..very slow

cnl83

Baseband Member
I have a dimension 2400, and the computer takes forever to boot. When you power on, it shows the dell screen that says f12 for boot menu, then it goes to a black screen that has a dash that blinks. It will stay on that screen for 10 minutes or longer. It eventually boots into windows, and runs sluggish. I changed the hard drive, but it still takes long to boot. I reset cmos, and still takes long to boot. Im considering just replacing the motherboard. What do yall think I could to resolve this?

Add more ram! Also, go to msconfig/startup/ and make sure only programs that need to startup are starting up upon startup.

You say you have changed your HDD, when you changed it did you do a clean install, and if you have done a clean install have you installed all drivers and XP updates? What were you doing with the computer before this problem started? Do you get any errors at all? What are the specs of the pc?

I swapped a hard drive in, and it booted the same. This is before windows even comes up. On the new HD there was not even windows.

I tried two different hard drives...its not a windows problem. One hard drive had windows, and the other was blank.

cnl83 said:
I swapped a hard drive in, and it booted the same. This is before windows even comes up. On the new HD there was not even windows.

If your adding a new drive with an operating system, then ya gonna have to format, and do a clean install

Back
Top Bottom