Question

LINK398

Beta member
Is it possible for a virus or spyware to get on a computer game disc? For some reason this thing kept popping up (might be a firewall) asking to block something. It kept popping up even after clicking block and sometimes when you click like grant access it still kept popping up. So could a virus or spyware get on a computer game disc?

it's not possible unless the person burned a copy of the game and put the virus on the burned copy which is very unlikely (I doubt stores would sell copied software). John's right though, you've got nothing to worry about. I've never scanned a CD for viruses and I've also never got one from a CD either.

Chances are the game wants access to internet for updates and stuff., and your firewall is wanting to know if you want to allow / block access

Is it possible for a game manfacture to create a game with a virus imbeded in the code?

Yes.

Is it likely?

Heh no, any respectable company isn't going put anything besides the game, and the game only on that CD then in the burning process they would make it ROM, therefore there is no chance of a 3rd party adding a virus alter on.

Therefore I wouldn't worry too much about it, chancse of you getting a virus off a game are slim well, none...

Yes it is possible to do, but very unlikely, the gold masters would have to be altered, which would cost 1000s to do. Then on top of that, when the finished disc was tested after production, it wouldnt match the original, so it wouldnt get out the door (assuming al qa checks are in place).I used to work in a CD manufacturing plant for 8 yrs, so im talking from experience here :)

Back
Top Bottom