Graphics card Q, which would be better?

Rippy087

Baseband Member
Would it be better to buy say something around a 7800 in hopes of getting another one to put in SLI in the future or getting an 8800 GTS and not planning on upgrading for a long time (and not worrying about sli). I want to futureproof this computer for at least some time, as I will be building from scratch, i.e. vista ready and whatever else I can do.

Thanks,
Jake

I'd go for the 8800GTS, though if possible I suggest that u wait for a while. My guess is that the price is gonna go down a lot when more dx10 cards are coming out. dx10 is the main reason I'm leaning toward the 8800.

Yea only problem is that my old computer entirely melted down, shorted out the processor and mobo. So I currently have no computer and I need one fast so I don't know how long I can wait, I'd like to get started as soon as I possibly can. And my old video card was a 128mb ati radeon from like 6 years ago and thats agp so I can't use it in a new system.

Thanks,
Jake

Then i would buy the new system but for the Time being put a X1300 or 6600GT or somthing along those line as far as graphics cards go. ($60-80 Graphics cards to hold you over)

They are PCI-X16 so you will be fine there.

Definetly wait, buying a product when if first comes out before it has competition is crazy in my book, unless you have gobs of money.

ATI is gonna counter the 8800 and counter HARD :D

Wait for ATI to release their DX10's and see what prices do... also i think i heard somewhere that ATI's DX10 cards will have core clocks near or above 1GHz.

Unless you absolutely need it right now, i would wait a little bit and see what happens... were at a big shift right now... Im an NVidia fan but i have a feeling their card is definately not a full potential yet

You can do like i did and get a 7600GT for a little over $100 after rebates and then wait for the new cards to come out

The 7600GT is an AWESOME card for the price... ask anyone who has it... i run BF2, 2142 - CS:s maxed out and i get like 70-80 FPS in the BF games and 110-200 in cs:s (Depends on level)

Bob94571 said:
Wait for ATI to release their DX10's and see what prices do... also i think i heard somewhere that ATI's DX10 cards will have core clocks near or above 1GHz.

Unless you absolutely need it right now, i would wait a little bit and see what happens... were at a big shift right now... Im an NVidia fan but i have a feeling their card is definately not a full potential yet

You can do like i did and get a 7600GT for a little over $100 after rebates and then wait for the new cards to come out

The 7600GT is an AWESOME card for the price... ask anyone who has it... i run BF2, 2142 - CS:s maxed out and i get like 70-80 FPS in the BF games and 110-200 in cs:s (Depends on level)

Yea the 7600GT is great card in low $100 price range.

I would say the best Sub $200 card is the X1950Pro

i can be had for $160 after rebates and smacks down every other card in that range

i'd just get a 8800gts/x or wait for the r600 to come out, which will probably force nvidia to drop there prices.. alot... i'd get a 7300gt or an X1650

Get a card to hold you down for a while. If you find that card nice for you. Just stay with it or upgrade when the battle of the graphics giants begins...

6600 GT is just fine dude, go with that for now you can get em cheap nowadays and they'll do everything at medium. Hell I just quit pplaying CS:S after 2 hours my 6600GT at medium settings didn't evne hickup. It appears that GPUs are far ahead of what the game industry is up to.

I'm considering a DX10 but prob going go with 7900 GTO

Back
Top Bottom