Computer won't boot, keeps prompting safe mode, safe mode networking... etc

8UpUrV8

Solid State Member
The other day my comp froze while trying to load a CD. I had to manually turn off. Since then it hasn't rebooted. It first prompts what mode I want to start in, safe mode, safe mode networking, start normally...
I have chosen each one, and it gets up to the Windows logo, then reboots and back to the "which mode?" screen.
I have Windows XP home,
pentium 4 2.8ghz, 512mb ram, 60gb HD...
Of any other info is needed I'll find out. Thanks!!!

Thank you! I'm looking at a few programs to repair the MBR... Is there any other ways to fix the mbr without having to buy software?

I believe you can do it through the windows XP recovery console and just type fixmbr on the command line dont quote me on this though i havent done it in a while...

-Boot from your XP cd
-Hit R to go into the repair console when it asks
-select the instalation of windows you wanna repair (Should only be one unless ur running multiple OSes)
-it might ask for a password (if you dont remember putting one on there just leave it blank and try it)
-a command line should come up
-type "fixmbr" without the quotes...

like i said dont quote me on this though i could be wrong

I've had better success from repairing Windows than using the fixmbr or fixboot commands from the recovery console. It would probably save you some frustration by doing the repair. JMO.

pctechmike said:
I've had better success from repairing Windows than using the fixmbr or fixboot commands from the recovery console. It would probably save you some frustration by doing the repair. JMO.

I 2nd that this is how to do a repair.

1. Go into your computers BIOS and set your boot order to cd rom first (usually DEL key, or F1, F2,)
2. Put the XP CD in the drive and save and exit the BIOS
3. Press a key when you see the screen that says press any key to boot from CD (right after the POST)
4. let windows load its files
5. press enter,(not R you dont want the recovery console)
6. then press f8
7. then press R for repair
8. and let the repair process begin.

good luck man

Thanks guys for the help, now I'm just trying to find my XP cd... It's been a while since I've used it, so I'm having a hard time trying to find it
Once again thanks for saving my computer!

8UpUrV8 said:
lol an Evo8, not all v8s, but a good chunk

Damn thats sweet I like those alot got any Pics?

You and i share something in common 4g63 :D

My car

x1pVAWEBW9yDL9gtAZ1e3EBKNPdozyoPVObhjhNuolN9S1hkPTZnEcVnorrFulYWzyW7ngEZgIlklJMiktXk5HTzUae5ka2kzfNvePtDENTetc

890353180_l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom