Somthing fishy

Nik00117

Fully Optimized
As some of you may or may not know i'm selling a PC for 1,100 USD or 800 Euro. Well i was talking to a guy said he'd send me large sum of money (not going mention it due to I don't want it disclosed) very well I gave him my address never expecting to see the money in my life.

Well I got a payment (I'll refer to it as a payment as well), again for a sizable enough sum of money to make me wonder "Who would send a payment of this amount to a person which he has merely e-mailed with for a PC for well multiple times what the PC is actually worth)

What do yall think about this?

Payment isn't cashed yet and i'm contacting a few poeple which deal in this stuff first to see what they gotta say about it.

IDK, we first are going take it up with the cops as this ammount is so large even the cop on the phone said its really funny that someone would send a payment of that ammount without actually even having so much as a return address on the thing.

yeah..this kind of happened with a waitress..this guy left a tip with a very large sum of money...around 2 mil...he is workin it off now..

It's a well known scam...

and it works like this...
(works with cheque or paypal... but I'll tell you about it with a cheque cause that's how I first heard about it)

the whole concept of the idea is clearing time.

when you pay a cheque into a bank account it has a clearing time. that clearing time is seven days, (7? yes, you heard right, not instant, not 3, 7).

however, as a courtesy, most banks will let you draw on the money either instantly, or within 3 days, even though the cheque has not properly cleared.

with the theory out of the way... heres how the scam part works.

firstly you have the seller, or service provider.
in this case you're selling a computer.

the scam buyer then contacts you and says that they want what you have, and they will send you the money, plus some very large summ of money, this guarentees that you will actually wnat to sell to them.

other times they say that they will send you a load of money, (cost of the item or service + some) and ask you to send some money on to their business partner, or friend.

other times people will ask you to advance them money on a personal cheque.

either way, and the end of the day, you end up with a cheque, and you either send then goods, advance them cash on that cheque, or pass funds to their friend on the guarentee fo that cheque...

you put the cheque in the bank. and you can draw instantly, so you assume it's clear.
or you try to be clever, and you wait 3 days, (cause everyone knows that cheques clear in three days). and then you send the goods.

on the fourth day, you've sent the goods/cash to the person
on the fourth day they cancel the cheque...

now you've just lost the goods and got no money for them...
the person scamming you has just gained some goods. or gained some cash...

either way, they are up, and you are down...

long story short...
as always, if a deal seems to good to be true, it usually is...

if someone offers you a stupidly large amount of money, there must be some reason for it, and it's not likely to be because they like you.

That is why you never accept personal checks.

Or, you wait the full 7-10 days until the check clears to send the goods.

Nik....don't do it....report it.

Well, If I do attempt to cash it I will wait until it clears the bank as in I do not send out the money. We contacted the ploice dept they are going do a few thigns for us to ensure we aren't scammed.

However me and my dad made a rule from the very start, if we get a check it first clears the bank then we send the item. So therefore wouldn't that make the whole scam uselss if the check has already cleared the bank?

I got another check today, for a undiscloused ammount of money how combined total ammount is 12,500. My mom is going to the cops tomorrow.

12,500 euros. for you americans $16,000

no return address.

Back
Top Bottom