Name change in Active Directory

chris_gog

Beta member
Hi,
I have a user who has got married and changed her last name. If i simply rename her in AD then will this affect anything? Will her exchange account be affected? or will it simply be a case of a different name being displayed?
Thanks,
Chris

Yes, you will have to change her email address too, along with re-setting her up on the computer she uses. Becuase of the new name, it will set up a new profile for her.

I think things will only be affected if you changer her username so if her username is something like firstName.lastName then other things would be affected

dsplay name and login are different from each other.
nothig should be affected. but as above said, if your logons are firstname.lastname then changing the display name won't change this...

if they don't mind usnig their old login name. you could always simply add a new email alias for them, this is probably a more effective solution since then people who have her old address will still be able to contact her.

you can rename a account in AD with no settings changes. This will change the login name to the new name.

The other posters are incorrect. You will not need to re setup anything. The user will be able to login with the new username, keep thier windows profile, but you will need to change the primary email address and add the new one (and make it the primary)

Once you stop the information store and restart it the change will be registed in the GAL

Back
Top Bottom