Motherboard CPU troubleshooting

bammerchapman

Solid State Member
Hey everyone whats up. My friends comp crashed, and I wanted to see if my expertise was correct.

I took the ram out, and no beeping. I didn't try taking the pci modem card out (works sometimes). I don't have another cpu to work with and test out.

It is a AMD Sempron 1.8 2800+ Socket 754.

It gave a blue screen that said hard ware error and turned off.

my real question is, If the processor is bad or burned out, would it cause the motherboard to not post?

Please let me know any info that you guys have.

I am available on AIM as well. My screen name is baker21x

What exactly do ya mean when ya say it crashed? Did it start with errors, if so what were they? Did it not start at all? What was he doing on the computer before it went wrong?

bammerchapman said:
Hey everyone whats up. My friends comp crashed, and I wanted to see if my expertise was correct.

I took the ram out, and no beeping. I didn't try taking the pci modem card out (works sometimes). I don't have another cpu to work with and test out.

my real question is, If the processor is bad or burned out, would it cause the motherboard to not post?

Does the computer beep at all when you turn it on?

do you get video?

bammerchapman said:

If you took the RAM out, and it doesn't beep, thats not a good sign. Usually, this indicates a bad CPU, bad motherboard, or it could be the power supply. I've seen cases where simply removing the BIOS battery for about 5 minutes, putting it back in, and everything works fine. To answer your question, yes, if the CPU is dead, the computer will not post.

pctechmike said:
If you took the RAM out, and it doesn't beep, thats not a good sign. Usually, this indicates a bad CPU, bad motherboard, or it could be the power supply. I've seen cases where simply removing the BIOS battery for about 5 minutes, putting it back in, and everything works fine. To answer your question, yes, if the CPU is dead, the computer will not post.

ok that is what I thought. Just getting a second opinion =). he got a new motherboard and CPU combo today actually lmao. I'll try the cmos battery thing.

bammerchapman said:
ok that is what I thought. Just getting a second opinion =). he got a new motherboard and CPU combo today actually lmao. I'll try the cmos battery thing.

Also remember as Mike said it could be the Powersupply

pctechmike said:
or it could be the power supply.

to keep you guys posted, he switched the motherboard and the processor. I didn't get him to try the cmos battery removal. His power supply works fine.

bammerchapman said:
to keep you guys posted, he switched the motherboard and the processor. I didn't get him to try the cmos battery removal. His power supply works fine.

So is it workin now mate, or not?

Back
Top Bottom