Heya!

troy272 said:
I have a question, is there a big amount of performance difference between running XP and Vista? also, is vista really as secure as they say it is?

I could add another one.

Has MS cut out all of the unnecessary crap for Vista, like it only uses what it absolutely has to be able to run, and no extra stuff?

An example is Windows XP - a lot of extra stuff that doesn't need to be there... XP Pro Lite owns.

Well, doesn't it have that ridiculous sidebar still? It's got to be bloated, I mean the size itself is almost twice as big as XP Pro. There are like 5 different versions of Vista. The Ultimate is loaded with all the extra stuff and there's the Vista Basic Edition which is probably the most stripped down version even a crappy aged computer can run on.

TRDCorolla said:
Well, doesn't it have that ridiculous sidebar still? It's got to be bloated, I mean the size itself is almost twice as big as XP Pro. There are like 5 different versions of Vista. The Ultimate is loaded with all the extra stuff and there's the Vista Basic Edition which is probably the most stripped down version even a crappy aged computer can run on.

And what would you consider a "crappy aged computer"?

I was fixing a computer for a guy once, he had XP Pro SP2, 192 RAM, PII or III, man was it slow. So I thought to myself "I wonder if there's a lighter version of XP out there." Turns out there is, and I'm going to use that on my new build along with one of the versions of Vista (whenever that may be).

I hope they make a lite version of vista, I'd get that. The HDD space that vista uses is insane.

yeah I've got a question.
Why should we buy vista? Sure it might look cool, but other than that and dx10 I really don't see any advantages. And spending like $300 for a OS that looks cooler and supports the new dx10 (and to use this u need to spend like $500 on a new vid card) doesn't seem to be worth it. And the fact that it uses way more resources than xp isn't that nice either.

mammikoura said:
yeah I've got a question.
Why should we buy vista? Sure it might look cool, but other than that and dx10 I really don't see any advantages. And spending like $300 for a OS that looks cooler and supports the new dx10 (and to use this u need to spend like $500 on a new vid card) doesn't seem to be worth it. And the fact that it uses way more resources than xp isn't that nice either.

I agree but I'm still kinda open minded to it. If I read good reviews and see that it's not going to tax my system too much then I might get it when it comes down in price, otherwise I might go linux or mac OS. My original plan however is to stick to XP until it's discontinued and then go look for a lite version of vista (if they ever make one).

Back
Top Bottom