Processor?

Ashley_22

Beta member
Time has come for a new computer and I've decided I'm going to build it rather than buying it pre-built from A shop.

Now this is where I need you guys and gals help.

First of all is the processor.

I'm debating which processor to go with at the moment :Intel core 2 duo E6300,E6400 or E6600 is there that much difference between the 3 to justify the price and would you notice lets say having the E6300 then going to the E6600 A big leap in performance?

I see the E6600 has 4mb cache rather than the 2mb cache of the E6300 and E6400 does this make alot of difference?

Then theres : AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.20GHz?

Well here's what I use my computer for at the moment, Internet and downloading, Burning Cd's.
I would like to be able to play games with the new computer and at a decent quality, also want to be able to overclock and Edit videos.

Which processor would you recomend.

Sorry for all the questions as you can tell I'm new to all this. :(

Thanx Alot

You're going to hear a lot of different opinions on this one. I would say go for the E6600 because the E6400 has 2MB less cache and is about 500mhz slower than the E6600. It's worth it even if it is $100 extra you have to shell out. Some people will say that you should just OC the E6400 and save the $100 to buy a nicer graphics board. Ocing the E6400 correctly will get you about the same speed as the E6600 by the way. Well, imagine the OC capabilities of the E6600. Already starting out at higher multiplier, you won't need to push the FSB up that much as the E6400's which means less OCing. With DX10 cards just around the corner I doubt the E6400 will be enough. The E6600 is clearly the best performance CPU/cost ratio and if you can afford it, by all means get it. Especially if you're planning on SLi'ing DX10, whoa.

cheerz mate, I dont mind spending abit extra to get the E6600 just wanted people's views before I rushed into it.

thanx

I really don't like that motherboard. Too restrictive. Are you planning on spending a lot? It looks like you plan on doing a little of everything with your new PC. If the E6600 is not to your taste because of the price, the E6400 is the next best thing. Video editing rely primarly on fast HDD and RAM rather than on the processor while encoding is a processor job. It also comes down to the type of codec used to, but that's another story. Regardless of that, both the E6400 and he E6600 will do an excellent job in all your PC needs, with the E6600 adding a bit more kick.

Ok, I'm looking at a new processor too. I want to be able to do DX10 SLI when they start coming down in price. I also want to run SATA drives, without an extra unit. Overclocking isn't a must, but I would evenutally be doing that. e6300 is more in my range, but the e6600 is doable, question is, what motherboard is good for the money?

I'd go with the E6400. It will definitely be enough for anything right now. Cache doesn't make a big difference, and you can oc the E6400 past 3.0ghz with air cooling. It's definitely a good option if you don't want to spend the money on the E6600.

I've decided to go with the E6300 As I see they can be overclocked to 3+ ghz and compared to the pentium 4 I'm running now should be a nice upgrade.

Money, well I'm not going to buy everything at once It's going to be more of every week or 2 Ill buy more parts that way I'm not going to be hit with a huge bill all at once.

Yeah, I'd go with the other guys on this one. I would say if you were planning to go AMD at least get the 4600+ but that's still a lot slower then the pentiums. I ordered parts individually until I realized that hey, there's a poor computer sitting over there with half its parts, so I ordered everything and finished it ASAP. :D

ok so far?

Processor : E6300

Motherboard: Either GIGABYTE 965P-DS4, ASUS P5W DH Deluxe or NVIDIA CNVIDIA nForce® 680i SLI™ which would you recomend Remember I want good gaming and to be able to overclock?

Ram: GeIL 2GB

This ok for what I want so far?

Back
Top Bottom