Best smallish verion of Linux.

OKay, I have the following computer I want to make into a small server for now.

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
512MB of Ram
16GB HDD

That is the important specs. The 5200 video card is irrelevant.

So basically I am lookin for the best smallish version of Linux. I really like the SUSE version, and I will be happy to go with that. Its just that will take up a nice big chunk the the HDD. So is there something out there kinda like SUSE but maybe smaller? I am not very familiar with Linux.

kubuntu is nice too. Don't know how much space it takes, never thought about it. But it shouldn't take too much since it doesn't have alot of useless stuff.

♂ÇRÅßßÿ® said:
OKay, I have the following computer I want to make into a small server for now.

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
512MB of Ram
16GB HDD

That is the important specs. The 5200 video card is irrelevant.

So basically I am lookin for the best smallish version of Linux. I really like the SUSE version, and I will be happy to go with that. Its just that will take up a nice big chunk the the HDD. So is there something out there kinda like SUSE but maybe smaller? I am not very familiar with Linux.

Ubuntu 6.06 Server, or for firewalls and proxys their's some special distro's that work nice.

What kind of server do you want?

The great thing about most Linux Distros is that you can pretty much scale them to whatever size you want.

For a server, you can skip GUI installation and other application software, and only install the services that you want to use.

What kind of server do you want to use it as?

The smallest Version of Linuz is called Smoothwall, then comes to DSL (Damn Small Linux)

If you want a full Linux, Go Suse, Kubuntu or Mandriva.

lhuser said:
The smallest Version of Linuz is called Smoothwall, then comes to DSL (Damn Small Linux)

If you want a full Linux, Go Suse, Kubuntu or Mandriva.

Their's text based linux distro's that run in 4 meg of flash.

And to an above thing, Ubuntu server already has the GUI removed on it :)

I've also heard good reviews about Slackware as a server. It is supposed to be one of the more customizable distributions. I like Debian myself. Debian 3.0 (Woody) is a seven-CD set, and Debian 3.1 (Sarge) is a 14-CD set. You only need one to install, because you can choose what packages you want or don't want. But Sarge should have just about everything you could possibly want for server software.

I can't speak for Ubuntu, because I haven't used it. But the more I hear about it, the more tempting it is for me to download and try it.

Back
Top Bottom