"Islander" aircraft.

Brookfield

Golden Master
I've just watched a Rememberance Day / Lord Mayor's Day Parade on TV, the cenotaph one is tomorrow of course, there was a flypast of five different helicopters & an Islander light aircraft which was designed, developed & manufactured on the Isle of Wight where I live, in the early seventies, & they are still being made, thousands have been sold around the world for light passenger service, also a freight verson, there was a Trilander, the same body, with a third engine mounted above the tail, I saw the first flight, they had only just finished painting it, & it flew with the paint still wet, it didn't prove viable so production was halted after a few months, have any of you aircraft enthusiasts heard of the Islander, or seen it?, quite a few were sold to the States & Canada.

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?front=yes&s=1&keywords=islander

this one?

0026480.jpg

that trislander one is pretty cool though..

Brookfield said:
I've just watched a Rememberance Day / Lord Mayor's Day Parade on TV, the cenotaph one is tomorrow of course, there was a flypast of five different helicopters & an Islander light aircraft which was designed, developed & manufactured on the Isle of Wight where I live, in the early seventies, & they are still being made, thousands have been sold around the world for light passenger service, also a freight verson, there was a Trilander, the same body, with a third engine mounted above the tail, I saw the first flight, they had only just finished painting it, & it flew with the paint still wet, it didn't prove viable so production was halted after a few months, have any of you aircraft enthusiasts heard of the Islander, or seen it?, quite a few were sold to the States & Canada.

I've seen a few up here.

Computer Genius said:
Yeh, Where i live (Guernsey) It's only a small airport and just about fit a 737 at the airport, the Channel Islands Air Search (CIAS) which looks for missing boats ect (as Guernsey is an island) is an Islander
Thanks, it had a lot of competition from other makers of this type of aircraft, & I'm proud it was "born" where I live, they fly over my place most days, & I don't have to look up, it has a distinctive engine sound among the several others that use Bembridge airport about 10 miles from me, then there are powered hang-gliders, these aren't popular with people that live near there, the noise as they take off is like a two-stroke motor bike, plus they all leak oil, so sitting on your grass isn't recommended, & washing hung out gets covered in oily smuts, one of the draw-backs of living on a holiday isle, as you will know.

Brookfield said:
Yep, that's it, well done, wonder if the members from Virginia remember that crash?

yeah.. thought it was one of those, one of the guys at work had done line maintaince on them a few years back.. i havnt seen anything from them yet, but i probably will eventually.. most of the stuff i see is from 737, 747, 757, 767, a320, planes like that.. mainly easyjet/ryanair, but we see alot of other companies too..

edit.. i use that website alot at work, on the swo's we get the aircraft reg, and i use that to look up the aircraft types..

mark thorpe said:
yeah.. thought it was one of those, one of the guys at work had done line maintaince on them a few years back.. i havnt seen anything from them yet, but i probably will eventually.. most of the stuff i see is from 737, 747, 757, 767, a320, planes like that.. mainly easyjet/ryanair, but we see alot of other companies too..

edit.. i use that website a lot at work, on the swo's we get the aircraft reg, and i use that to look up the aircraft types..
I forgot that your job entailed atrcraft maintenance, doing a job that was also your passion, marvellous!! I used to go regularly to Farnborough in the fifties & saw Neville Duke break the sound barrier in an almost vertical dive, this was before it was done in level flight, after he did that, he transversed the runway right in front of me at 'nought' feet as it was called then, he passed in complete silence, water vapour cascading over the wing-tips in his silver Hawker Hunter, followed a second later by the sound, then there were the Victor & Valiiant taking off, one after the other, the air literally splitting apart, talking was impossible over the wall of sound, I still thrill to those memories all these years later, reckon I was witnessing what was to come, don't you?

Back
Top Bottom