best computer for me around 1K (build or buy)?

jealousblues

Beta member
Whats the best computer I can get for around a grand. I could either have it put together or buy one from a company.

What I would like:

Large screen
great speakers
DVD/cd burner
tv tuner? (how would this work with cable)
radio? does it need a tuner or what?

what I would usually use it for-
playing music
internet
watching movies
writing papers
burning cds
storing lots of mp3s
watching tv
recording tv
recording music
editing patches for musical products
aim

I would hardly ever use it for games, and when I do it wouldnt be for the newest top of the line games.
I wouldnt want it to EVER start up slow, or work slow or get bogged down.

what do you guys think?

I was comtemplating a Media center PC, but i dont know if thats for me or if its a great idea.

What is a good computer for me?
what are good specs for my price range?

should I build or buy?

origionally I wanted a laptop because I would prefer to be able to take it around...but the more I think about it. Can I get a good laptop for the price?
What do you guys suggest?

jealousblues said:
Whats the best computer I can get for around a grand. I could either have it put together or buy one from a company.

What I would like:

Large screen
great speakers
DVD/cd burner

playing music
internet
watching movies
writing papers
burning cds
storing lots of mp3s
watching tv
recording tv
recording music
aim

I would hardly ever use it for games, and when I do it wouldnt be for the newest top of the line games.

what do you guys think?

I was comtemplating a Media center PC, but i dont know if thats for me or if its a great idea.

should I build or buy?

origionally I wanted a laptop because I would prefer to be able to take it around...but the more I think about it. Can I get a good laptop for the price?
id say build it.
start with a Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, add a matx mb by ASUS, use integrate video and sound, get a Aspire X-Qpack, two Seagate SATA2 500gb hdds in raid 1, two dvd-burners, and add a tv tuner and radio tuner of your choice.
As for a monitor, i really don't know. Make sure you buy Windows Vista Home Premium since it has Media Center :D dont buy Windows Media Center 2005!

The dell 20" widescreens are really nice, but they are $359

good luck

jealousblues said:

What I would like:

Large screen
great speakers
DVD/cd burner

playing music
internet
watching movies
writing papers
burning cds
storing lots of mp3s
watching tv
recording tv
recording music
aim

what do you guys think?

should I build or buy?

Well, wheither to build or buy is dependant on your skill level with pc's. Are you comfortable assembling your own pc? Have you ever done anything like that before?

If no, I'd just buy something like a Dell or HP Media Center pc. You can configure it with a bigger hard drive, dvd burner.....etc for a pretty low price.

Jealous blues, the TV tuner would be an essential for whatching TV and the cable will work exactly like a TV. As far for built, I will select the range you need.

i can sell you mine for around $800

it's only 2 months old, very fast

check out my post in the for sale section which lists it's specs

Well, since you won't be doing any gaming, I would probably recommend a skt939 setup over Conroe since you won't be missing the frame rates in the more intense games, it'll also save yourself some money for your speakers and LCDs. You should look into Logitech for your speakers and Dell has some decently priced monitors. With that in mind, it wouldn't be so bad to customize your own computer on the Dell website since they usually have some great deals including free 19-21 inch monitors.

What lhuser posted will probably suit you well, but if you want to cut it down a little bit theres good 19' LCD screens out there for about 100 dollars less.

True. He wanted a big screen, but that doesn't mean he can go smaller or bigger.

Back
Top Bottom