internet problems

jladdm3

Baseband Member
alright.... my cable modem plugs into my wireless router, wireless router plugs into my computer. with this setup the internet will only stay on for 15 minuts and then it will disconnect. this happens on all of the computer connected through the wireless router. (this started happening last night. and never happend before that... with the exact same setup) so now i connect the cable modem directly to my computer ( by passing the router) and it seems to work fine...... do i need a new router? i have only had it about 8 months.
the entire router dosnt go down its just the internet because i can log into the router and see other computers on the network.... just no internet.

Have you tried resetting the router? Ya could also update the firmware on the router. And if possible then you should try the router on a friends computer and see what happens then

well, i re-did the coax cable connection that i made when i fist put in the modem. I also replaced the ethernet cable going from the modem to the router. so far it seems to be working. i have been on the internet for about 45 minutes with out being disconnected. so far so good.
--I guess my cabel modem was dropping the internet connection and my wireless router wouldnt pick it up agian when the cable modem re-connected. :confused:

It sounds like you may have nailed the solution- the Cat5 cable between the modem and the router. They don't go bad often, but it can happen, especially if they get bent too much, or pinched. If it still drops randomly after a while, I would first try what Raffaz suggested and update the firmware, or try it on a friends computer. If that doesn't work, I suspect a WAN port (the port that the modem connects to) may be going bad. That router should have a one year warranty, so it may be worth calling the manufacture and possibly having it swapped out if it gives you any more problems.

Back
Top Bottom