Back in Windows XP

lhuser

Golden Master
Well, people say that downgrding from Vista to XP with Windows.old is impossible. Well, Wednesday, I decided to confront this statement. I took Windows.old, stuck it in F:\ and went with the Windows XP setup. I formatted the C: partition and I hard resetted. I copied Windows, and all the folders via WinPE (Could have been done in Recovery Console) and I went in the console after. I copied all the boot files in the C:\ directory and I typed fixmbr and fixboot. Within 4 hours (Transfer of files is long!), there we go. I am back in, the way I left it.

lhuser said:
Well, people say that downgrding from Vista to XP with Windows.old is impossible. Well, Wednesday, I decided to confront this statement. I took Windows.old, stuck it in F:\ and went with the Windows XP setup. I formatted the C: partition and I hard resetted. I copied Windows, and all the folders via WinPE (Could have been done in Recovery Console) and I went in the console after. I copied all the boot files in the C:\ directory and I typed fixmbr and fixboot. Within 4 hours (Transfer of files is long!), there we go. I am back in, the way I left it.

wut you mean like installing 98?vista isnt out yet is it?i thought it was comin in january or something

yes, but Vista completely trashes the Windows XP boot file. Remember, Pre-RTM is what I have. All I did was that I formatted Vista because it kept locking up. Well, I had to revert to XP. Then, I decided to try to return the the old windows I had in there. with a bit of copying and manual fixes, it was possible. You can downgrade a PC, but it takes experience.

lhuser said:
yes, but Vista completely trashes the Windows XP boot file. Remember, Pre-RTM is what I have. All I did was that I formatted Vista because it kept locking up. Well, I had to revert to XP. Then, I decided to try to return the the old windows I had in there. with a bit of copying and manual fixes, it was possible. You can downgrade a PC, but it takes experience.

yea i can do it......so vista is out

why didn't you just put vista on a different drive other than making another partition on your main hhd ? when i test out new OS's i just install them to a blank hhd, via format.

if the Os turns out to suck, i just re-format the hhd..i test alot of programs on a second hhd before i'll install them to the main hhd...seperate partitions of coarse.

edit: yeah, i have been hearing about alot of people having trouble with vista, maybe micro$oft did not work all the bugs out, before they released the beta to the public.

~mr mixx~ said:
why didn't you just put vista on a different drive other than making another partition on your main hhd ? when i test out new OS's i just install them to a black hhd, via format.

if the Os turns out to suck, i just re-format the hhd..i test alot of programs on a second hhd before i'll install them to the main hhd...seperate partitions of coarse.

edit: yeah, i have been hearing about alot of people having trouble with vista, maybe micro$oft did not work all the bugs out, before they released the beta to the public.
One: The other drive is a 10.2GB drive. Two: I hate dual boot, believe it or not. And Vista will screw with Any other OSes on any drive.

mongoman said:
wuts pre-RTM?PRE REALESE? i wouldnt suggest it if it was
Pre-RTM is Release to Manufacturing. It's a stable OS, but open for modifications. Still has bugs though.

lhuser said:
One: The other drive is a 10.2GB drive. Two: I hate dual boot, believe it or not. And Vista will screw with Any other OSes on any drive.

yeah, like i said in the other post...i think i'll wait til they work out all the bugs 1st before i invest in trying out the OS.

Back
Top Bottom