Massive Slowdown!! - NEED HELP - REP TO WHOEVER HELPS

Man, you have dialup, there's not much you can do to speed it up. Are you running a lot of things that require internet access? Shut them down if you do.

Most times though it's due to your isp. Does the speed change when you connect at different times of the day? It's possible that at certain times of the day your isp has a lot of traffic and that will slow the servers down.

Another option would be that if you have old phone lines in your house you can upgrade them and that will help a little with the speed, but that would be quite a project.

I would give your isp a call and see if they know why all of a sudden your speeds have gone down.

ArrizX said:
I know its 56K.

But when you actually download something its at like 3/4/5kbps...

Jeeese, i get mad when i get less than 500kbps! Id go crazy if mine was at 5kbps, it would take days to download demos and stuff.

N_350Z said:
Okay guys, my Internet browsing speed has gone down the chute. It's ridiculously slow now. I ran Sybot Search and Destroy, and Ad-Aware, cleaned out my cookies, cache, and everything else I could think of.

I'm using Firefox 1.5 and I get lots of slowdown. I tried Opera and IE and I'm getting the same thing. It's really, really, really, irritating the hell out of me, and I think I'm going to go crazy.

BTW, I'm on dial up as well. It's not the fastest thing when it's running normal, but I mean, come on!

Rep to whoever can help me fix this.

I used to use Dialup and XP just has so many services along wiht other programs you installed that want out on the internet.

Control these services.

One step is to shut down automatic updates.

another step is install Zonealarm Firewall. You can keep very strict control over the programs that access the internet, and is a must for dialup.

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conte...st_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=nav_za

also go to start/run/msconfig/tab *startup*

remover programs like

*adobe update manager* or *adobe download manager*

these thing will jump out on the net as soon as you make your connection.

you can also adjust the speed of the modem.

right click my network places/properties/connection/go to the properties of your dialup connection * and in there you can adjust the modem speed*

I cant be more detailed cuz i dont have a modem on this machine.

and Last but not least, restart the PC, and dial Up fresh.

Look at the connection properties and see approximately how much bandwidth is being used (alternatively find an upload/download meter app) per second. If the full bandwidth is being used even when you arent doing anything, then the problem is with your computer (spyware, services, etc). If there is almost no bandwidth usage but it is still slow, it's probably best to give your isp a call

bandwidth probs are hard to pin point, due to too many factors involved. it could be due to spyware/ tracking bots. it could be that you have no tweaking of your browser or modem card. it could be your conputer got highjacked by some malware. it could be your service provider bottle necked your connection some how.

best thing to do, is try out a different browser than the one your using, if you still get a slow down then at least you know it's not the browser.

Back
Top Bottom