sum random-ish questions..

noojoo

Solid State Member
1. wt dos it mean if theres a $ sign.. like c$:
2. wt if all the computers in my school's comp lab use a certain ip address; can i use ssh to logon from my dorm and use the internet access from the lab?

more questions coming up soon..

$ gives you access to an entire drive through the network (assuming you have the proper authentication). For example you can browse to \\pcname\c$ and it will show you the entire c: drive... shared or not.

As far as your computer lab, i would assume the schools network admin would have those things locked down behind a firewall to keep people out, I know I would. They not give you guys internet in the dorms?

noojoo said:
1. wt dos it mean if theres a $ sign.. like c$:
2. wt if all the computers in my school's comp lab use a certain ip address; can i use ssh to logon from my dorm and use the internet access from the lab?

more questions coming up soon..

the $ sign simply means it's a hidden share that the windows GUI cannot see. It does not nesscairly need to be an entire hard drive, if you made a new share named share$ this share would be hidden from other windows computers.

for the second one, you could theoretically use SSH tunneling to tunnel your HTTP traffic to the lab. You should read up more about this.

Back
Top Bottom