New build need help

freestyler105 said:
I just upgraded from IDE to SATA a few days ago. To sum up the difference, the load times of Windows XP MCE was cut in half comparing clean installs on each drive. If you're going to be moving files around a lot (like I do), there will be a pretty big difference.

As for gaming, it really depends on the game. A game with huge amounts of detail and large areas, such as Oblivion or FEAR will show a decent performance boost. On the other hand, if you're only playing Zoo Tycoon and such, you won't notice.

From a technical standpoint, the fastest IDE drives are only up to 133 MB/s. The fastest SATA drives are up to 300 MB/s. So in theory, SATA is over 2 times as fast as IDE. (comparing ATA133 to SATA 3.0 Gb/s) I say in theory because the speed is also limited by how many RPM the drive is. If it's only a 7200RPM drive, there isn't much of a difference.

Basically, if you want to save the 50 bucks, it won't really make that much of a difference, except in the not so distant future SATA is going to overtake IDE as the standard.

i have a question for ya. You upgraded to a SATA harddrive from an IDE hdd which is exactly what i plan to do but (i dont know if you did it or not) is it possible to transfer data from the IDE hdd over to a SATA hdd? I've never heard of someone doing this so i thought i'd ask. Maybe you know?

Yes, as a matter of fact I just did it a few hours ago.

I screwed up my old drive while trying to install Linux with a bad CD, so I had to copy all the recoverable data over to the new SATA drive. Fortunately, mostly only the Windows installation and a few other insignificant things were screwed, and my game saves were intact. That's what's important, right?

that looks like a great board Unfortunately its little bit out of my price range. do u know of anything cheaper that would allow me to do some minor over clocking.

Ð88 said:
i have a question for ya. You upgraded to a SATA harddrive from an IDE hdd which is exactly what i plan to do but (i dont know if you did it or not) is it possible to transfer data from the IDE hdd over to a SATA hdd? I've never heard of someone doing this so i thought i'd ask. Maybe you know?

Yeah mate its just the same as transfering from one IDE drive to another. I used to do it all the time, till i switched all my drives to SATA

Yea i also suggest a Sata II drive

I have used many of these drives and like them alot

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144701

The other thing i noticed is that the memory your using isnt the Highest speed your board supports.

MAX out your memory speed.

*these links are to SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) and they are cheaper than the memory you selected *

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227126

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145566

(corsair is my personal favorite)

Also why are you shopping at Tiger? www.newegg.com could probally beat those prices down

good luck

im shoppin at tiger cuz i live in canada and i dont wanna pay any extra shippin fees. also the motherboard i selected only supports ddr2 667/533.

Back
Top Bottom