Hard drive causing problems...

jeo14888

Baseband Member
Hi, when i went to boot up my computer last night it got stuck on that windows loading screen (that usually takes about a second), and didnt move from there so i triued re booting a few times and still came up with the start up screen. So i turned my secondary hard drive off and it all started up fine, a bit slower than usuall but it started. I tried fiddling about a bit more and its definetly my secondary internal hard drive that is causinbg the problem. This is really quite worrying as i have no idea why it would suddenly do this, apart from i did have have some trouble with viruses not long ago, but they seem to have stopped. I dont know if this would of led to the hole drive packing up and causing the system to not boot but i got about 80 gig of games on there which is bloody annoying. If the problem is physical then can i send it back to the shop or seagate for them to fix it, and would my stuff be safe? And if i tried using it in my mates computer to see if it works there is tehre any chance i could screw with his aswell( cause some siort of damage). Please help and thanks.

Have you checked the cable is secure, and tried a different cable with the drive? If that dont work then try going to the seagate website and downloading the drive diagnostics tools, and run them on your faulty drive to see if its dying. If it is then your gonna have to get your data off it quickly before it dies completely.

The reason its doing that is because the secondary hard drive is set to master..not slave, because the computer is searching that hdd for the windows boot...but it cannot find it, then it goes over to the other hard drive and searchs that one.

Spec said:
The reason its doing that is because the secondary hard drive is set to master..not slave, because the computer is searching that hdd for the windows boot...but it cannot find it, then it goes over to the other hard drive and searchs that one.

I dont think its that coz the drive has been working in there previously. It could be new, but he hasnt mentioned that yet, so we will have to wait for confirmation. :)

no its not new, been running fine for months, been transfering data alot without a glitch, now suddenly this. The cables are all working.
The drive is being picked up by bios fine, its just something related to that drive is causing windows to not load. i'll go to teh seagate website and give it a go. im stumped, cheers anyway guys.

jeo14888 said:
no its not new, been running fine for months, been transfering data alot without a glitch, now suddenly this. The cables are all working.
The drive is being picked up by bios fine, its just something related to that drive is causing windows to not load. i'll go to teh seagate website and give it a go. im stumped, cheers anyway guys.

Have ya managed to test it yet mate.

woo, just got it running. Before, i had the c drive as a master on one lead, then the dvd and the g drive on another. i had a spare single ( i think its called IDE lead) so ii tried using that with the g drive and making the g drive a master and it workes ok. But no dvd drive now. i did run a diagnostics test on the g drive though and it was taking a hell of a long time compared to the test i done on the c drive of the same size and it was making some savage grinding noises.
i've transfered the vital data off of the g drive onto a backup drive, ill get another double lead so i can have both the drive and dvd going, i just hope it carries on working cause i couldnt cope without my games for two days :s thanks for the help guys

Back
Top Bottom