Old motherboard newer AMD CPU (compared to board)

thecraze

Beta member
I'm a newbie, and I have an old Sony Vaio PCG-FX210 that had an AMD Duron 800 mhz. I installed a Duron 1600 mhz in it recently, and it registers as 1200 mhz. Does anyone know if there's a way to get the other 400 mhz out of it, or is it just stuck that way because of the old system board?

The problem may come that it maight not support speeds higher than 1200MHz. Also, don't be fooled with 1600+. On the box, does it say AMD Duron 1600+?

Yes, it says Duron 1600 on the chip itself where the old one says Duron 800. I'm going to try a bios upgrade on the motherboard as soon as I can, maybe that'll do the trick.

your bios may not be recognizing the proper fsb frequency. when i put my mobo in it defaulted to 100 mhz (this is on a socket A btw) and should have been at 166mhz. so my processor was coming up as an Athalon XP 2200+ or something to that nature instead of a 2800+. check in your bios to see if this is the case with your before you flash the bios

i just looked it up on malabs, your processor should be using the 266mhz fsb frequency (if not being oc'ed of course). hope that helps.

I'll look into it. I'm not sure if this motherboard has the option of changing the FSB to the proper setting (266). The bios look very basic.

Back
Top Bottom