Rattling noise

Denier-of-Soup

In Runtime
There's an annoying rattling noise coming from the back my computer. I tried opening up the case and trying to locate it, but I had no such luck. The noise is intermittent, and becomes louder if I tilt the case to one side. Do you guys have any ideas where it might be coming from?

Sounds to me like the hamster had a kid and got him a rattler... :p

all jokes aside though, sounds like it's a fan problem. I had it not too long ago and turned out to be my gpu fan that wasnt running smooth anymore.

Are all your screws tightened? Does it happen when your cd drive spins up? Because drives will usually vibrate more than anything else in the case.

Denier-of-Soup said:
Then it might be the PSU fan. I don't think I'll be able to get inside it, though. :<

try vacuuming it, might just be dust. And you might be able to remove the fan cover/unit to give it a better clean. just make sure it is unplugged first.. and i think this voids any warranty you have too.

edit: good point cabbspapp, didnt think of the optical drives. that might be something to look at too. You should be able to hear approximately where it comes from if you take the computer case off.

I've had difficulty with my northbridge fan in the past. It eventually died on me but the noise stopped.... ;) I agree with the fan idea.

I also think it's a fan. My old PC did that and I always thought it was normal routine so I just left it but coincidentally the PSU died on it last week so I guess that might have had something to do with it.... could be your PSU fan or something but I'm not sure. Also, cleaning out the dust inside the case wouldn't be a bad idea. It never hurts to go in there and clean up a bit.

I just tightened some screws at the back of the case and on the HDD racks. So far so good.

Oh, and I cleaned out the insides a month ago, so it's probably not caused by the dust.

Back
Top Bottom