Car Thread!

Yeah, those wheels do look purty for what they cost. Sadly decent wheels for the Focus are around $100 per... so no wheels anytime soon for me. If I could I would get 17" O.Z. Superturismos probably.

TRDCorolla said:
Well traditionally, manual transmission is still best on gas mileage. However these days, we're beginning to see some newer cars with automatics that have an EPA rating of only 1 or 2 MPG less than the same model car equipped with the manual. So small, but they've gone more efficient. SOME vehicles get better mileage (5 mpg or more) as an automatic compared to the manual. This kind of example can be reflected in the Toyota's like the RAV4, and the FJ Cruiser.

For manual tranny, the driver controls when to shift gears. In an automatic, the gears shift automatically (no surprise there) when the RPMs reach a certain level. The RPMs seem to run high before the car shifts gears, much higher than you would let them get with a standard transmission. When they run high, the car burns more gas which result in reduced gas mileage as compared to manual transmissions. It's just a basic theory, but now with all these hybrids, electric, and fuel cell vehicles out, gas mileage no longer mean anything anymore.

My 2000 Civic i just bought with a 5 speed got 39 MPG, i drove 371 Miles on 9.5 Gallons of gas.

And this is a combination of city driving and highway.

Not to bad considering the average MPG of city and highway is 36 MPG,

i am pretty happy with it so far, nice little car.

Here is some eye candy

0303tur_05z+Mazda_RX_7+2JZGTE_Motor.jpg

Discuss

Distortion88 said:
305ci V8 at the moment. I say at the moment because it is in my relatively short future list of upgrades for me to upgrade to a 350ci but for now this engine does the trick.
sounds good 2 me. what year is the truck and what all do you have on your upgrade list?

If I had an RX-7, I wouldn't put a 2jz in it, even though they are amazing motors. It just wouldn't seem right to not have a rotary in it.

MooseMan said:
sounds good 2 me. what year is the truck and what all do you have on your upgrade list?

The truck is a 1988. For future upgrades, i have things in mind but not all are for certain. The list:

1) 350 V8. This will be brand new and over time i plan to add a lot of aftermarket parts to boost some more power. Nothing extreme like a supercharger or something like that but simple things like a cold air intake, throttle body spacer, upgraded fuel injection, and headers.

2) Updated 94+ style grill. I've upgraded the updated mirrors and they look pretty sharp so i will be ditching the old grill and swapping in a new one (probably the style with the dual headlights because they seem easier to get a hold of). The modification to do the update is pretty simple.

3) Lift kit - not entirely sure about this. If i do get one it will be at a much later date. My choice would be a 4" suspension lift with 33" tires (and if i decide i want to go with 35's i would add a 2" body lift). I'm not a huge fan of having a lifted truck because it is just so impractical for on road driving so i would almost want another vehicle for mainly road use before i lift my truck. Other additions with the lift would include a roll bar, light bar, bush grill, winch, etc.

Then there's a few other odds and ends (not for sure either):

Moonvisor
Bed rails
Bucket style seats (possibly a racing set)
other interior mods (theres lots of possibilities..too many to list)
window tints
a cowl induction or ram air style hood

I've got a lot of the main stuff that needed to be done already so everything aside from the engine is not priority.

Back
Top Bottom