Problem with HD, VIDEO or MOBO?

Alright any updates from the thread starter.

Crosstech i sent you a PM so we didnt have to highjack this guys thread.

Enix82 said:
I thought the problem may be the harddrive because that is next on my start up succession after checking the DVD. I took it out and inspected it, seems fine. I took it to my wife's old emachine comp and tried to make it SINGLE. It runs through the BIOS fine and it recognizes the HD in the BIOS; however, it says windows has encountered a problem and offers the usual solutions: safe mode, safe mode in etc, safe mode in etc, start windows using last normal config... NONE WORK.
Thats because it's a different chipset. If I took my hard drive and shoved it into my other computer and fired it up, it windows wouldn't work there. I don't know what it is, but windows does something to adjust to the motherboard hardware.

Also, the suspected hard drive, is it running XP, and, what OS is the old eMachines computer running? if it's windows 2000... then yeah, 2000 can't read NTFS 3.1 for it's life, but XP can. (XP by default uses 3.1, 2000 uses 3.0)

it sounds like you have a motherboard problem, and having a dead chipset fan for so long I wouldn't be surprised if it's damaged.

Alright...next day up date. Yesterday I got the HD working on my wifes comp. Next I'm stuck with the POST BEEPS. I've unplugged all of the IDE cables so the only thing connected is my GPU and mem.

I've tried switching the MEM around ever possible way you can imagine. The PSU powers up all my fans and lights... I believe I'm stuck with a bad video or MOBO. I've also tried clearing CMOS.

With only my GPU, PSU and MEM connected I have a black screen and a constant beep (beep...beep...beep...FOREVER). And of course my wife's wonderful emachine only has on board video...ARGH no agp slot for me to switch it out.

Enix82 said:
Alright...next day up date. Yesterday I got the HD working on my wifes comp. Next I'm stuck with the POST BEEPS. I've unplugged all of the IDE cables so the only thing connected is my GPU and mem.

I've tried switching the MEM around ever possible way you can imagine. The PSU powers up all my fans and lights... I believe I'm stuck with a bad video or MOBO. I've also tried clearing CMOS.

With only my GPU, PSU and MEM connected I have a black screen and a constant beep (beep...beep...beep...FOREVER). And of course my wife's wonderful emachine only has on board video...ARGH no agp slot for me to switch it out.
reseat the ram and the video card (as in take them out and put them back in, or in the ram's case, try moving the sticks to different slots)

Enix82 said:

Does it have a PCI slot available, you could use a PCI videocard.

if you still have trouble getting video, try some known good memory if you still have trouble let us know we can help you further.

MikeReiner said:
Thats because it's a different chipset. If I took my hard drive and shoved it into my other computer and fired it up, it windows wouldn't work there. I don't know what it is, but windows does something to adjust to the motherboard hardware.

Also, the suspected hard drive, is it running XP, and, what OS is the old eMachines computer running? if it's windows 2000... then yeah, 2000 can't read NTFS 3.1 for it's life, but XP can. (XP by default uses 3.1, 2000 uses 3.0)

it sounds like you have a motherboard problem, and having a dead chipset fan for so long I wouldn't be surprised if it's damaged.

Win2000 uses NTFS5 the same as XP. Its NT that isnt compatible as it uses NTFS4 unless it has had the service pack to change to NTFS5

Alrighty, next up date. Memory is fine, I placed the DIMMS in my wife's comp and they work flawlessly. Only two parts left are the MOBO and GPU (agp). Unfortunately, my wife's eMachine (ugh!) does not have a agp slot and only comes equipped with onboard video.

Quick recap. HD works fine as slave on another comp (even tho it had to be repaired in checkdisk, maybe got screwed up from mobo crashing?). Memory works fine in another comp. PSU powers up DVD, lights, fans and mobo so it seems working. GPU is a leadtek 256mb card, getting power fan activates. Mobo, all the nice pretty lights flash and come on and even displays POST numbers but NB fan has been out for going on 2 years. I am left with a blank screen and the comp wont even attempt to load BIOS. I'm left with an infinite number of beeps. (beep....beep....beep....ETC)

I think I have a mobo problem. Luckily a socket 754 is easily and feasibly replaced.

It could still be the memory, have you tested them in your mobo, some boards just dont like certain RAM. Maybe try your wifes RAM in your computer aswell

THE BAREBONES HARDWARE FOR VIDEO

the only required parts you need for video are.

1.Motherboard
2.Powersupply
3.CPU
4.RAM
5.Videocard /unless you have onboard video

And make sure you have a known good working monitor and power cables for both the PC and monitor,
and make sure the monitor is powered on.

and before when even get down to it , Make sure you have a large enough power supply.
Dont even waste your time doing this if you are trying to boot a system with 2 X1950XTXs in crossfire, and 6 Hardrives with a 300 Watt power supply.

Ok Lets Start

1. REMOVE the motherboard, place it on a Plastic surafce/ such as a rubber mat, or a large square of packing material.

2. Start putting the ram, cpu & heatsink/fan, videocard (some videocards Need additional power make sure you are plugging power into these places as well). ONE thing at a time, double check and make sure everything is in place properly and plugged in I.E. CPU fan.

3. Plug the power supply into the board (some boards require additional power, make sure you are plugging the power into these places as well),

4. Take your case and move it by the board and plug the powerswitch onto the CORRECT pins on the motherboard.(consult your motherboards manual if you dont know where these are)

5. Also try hooking up the small speaker in your pc to the CORRECT pins on the mobo to get a diagnostic beep code. (consult your motherboards manual if you dont know where these are)

6. Hook up the monitor to the back of the videocard, carefully, its not screwed down so it can pop out easily. (if your using onboard video this step does not pertain to you)
If you have onboard video just plug it into the VGA port of the back of the motherboard.

7. Press the power button.

Did you hear any Beeps? any video?

If you still dont have video try this only if you have both onboard video and a Slot based videocard I.E. PCI-E/AGP/PCI pull the Slot based video card and try the onboard)

still none?

If you still dont have any video, Try replacing the easiest compents first, such as Ram, then Videocard, then PSU, then CPU, then Motherboard. Just ONE at a time and try booting and listening for beeps after each one.

Make sure you have known good working Componets your replacing them with as well, and make sure they are compatible.

That should narrow down what componet is causing trouble.

Good Luck, LambofGod

Ok some of you guys are not stopping to read his posts closely. Skimming over a post is not helpful. You're not picking up on what he's found out.
Now the memory and the drive work fine in another system. So that eliminates them.
The board won't boot and has a series of beeps not listed. This sounds like it's power supply related. You may have low voltages on the 3.3 and/or 5 volt rails or have lost them altogether. That would account for not only the memory testing ok in another system but the HD running ok also in another system as well. The memory runs on the 3.3 while the controller in the HD runs on 5. These rails have to be within tolerance or the system has problems like the poster has stated.
So now put it all back together on the board they came out of and try a known good power supply. If you still have the problems then look to the motherboard as being the source and proceed from there.
And either replace the fan on the northbridge or take it off. A dead fan blocks air flow.

Back
Top Bottom