Gears of war

mongoman said:
I agree haha btw halo 2 is not overrated because of the storyline and the charactors besides wut other game got that much hype and deliverd it ALL of it sure some times textures pop out but who cares you just hate MC mike
No, I do not hate MC. I think halo has one of the best story lines ever in a FPS, and it was executed very well in the first halo. But just like halo, halo2 has what disgusts me in level creation: Repetition. If not for repetition, I would be able to forgive most other short comings.. but I don't hold back on level design.. it's just too god damn important to neglect.

Repetition is what signifies running out of ideas, or just plain not trying anymore. When they can just copy and paste 10 identical rooms together (or however many there really were) it shows me they didn't want to make it any better than that, it shows me they didn't want to put fourth the effort, it shows me they wanted to just finish the damn game and ship half-assed. If halo's level design was done better, I swear to god it could have been the best game i've ever played in my life..

Don't even TRY to tell me that the library was a good creative level, if you even dare say it was done well, then you have absolutely no standard for what makes a good level.

You can obviously tell I'm more of a single player FPS'er.. thats why I have little tolerance for such negligence, and why i tend to overlook the multi player a bit.

They say 10.0 means "Flawless"... I honestly believe there is no such thing, because I have never seen anything worthy of it. Not even my favorite FPS Half-Life 2 possibly deserves it.

Distortion88 said:
who ever said the game had to be realistic? Last time i checked there was no such thing as a Halo in real life or intergalactic warriors fighting aliens on distant planets. I mean wtf? Who cares if you can accelerate at an enemy while in mid air with the sword. It made the game fun and if you couldn't handle it then that's your problem.

And i don't know wtf was with that last comment but it sounds like a personal shot at me so seriously man stfu! No need for that bullshit.
Read the post I just made.

I don't have shit against you, and I didn't write that thinking about making a shot at you, but I suppose it's up to you to decide if thats what it meant, since it seems my words seem useless to you people.

MikeReiner said:
No, I do not hate MC. I think halo has one of the best story lines ever in a FPS, and it was executed very well in the first halo. But just like halo, halo2 has what disgusts me in level creation: Repetition. If not for repetition, I would be able to forgive most other short comings.. but I don't hold back on level design.. it's just too god damn important to neglect.

Repetition is what signifies running out of ideas, or just plain not trying anymore. When they can just copy and paste 10 identical rooms together (or however many there really were) it shows me they didn't want to make it any better than that, it shows me they didn't want to put fourth the effort, it shows me they wanted to just finish the damn game and ship half-assed. If halo's level design was done better, I swear to god it could have been the best game i've ever played in my life..

Don't even TRY to tell me that the library was a good creative level, if you even dare say it was done well, then you have absolutely no standard for what makes a good level.

You can obviously tell I'm more of a single player FPS'er.. thats why I have little tolerance for such negligence, and why i tend to overlook the multi player a bit.

They say 10.0 means "Flawless"... I honestly believe there is no such thing, because I have never seen anything worthy of it. Not even my favorite FPS Half-Life 2 possibly deserves it.

I don't have shit against you, and I didn't write that thinking about making a shot at you, but I suppose it's up to you to decide if thats what it meant, since it seems my words seem useless to you people.

BUDDY IT TOOK LIKE 4 YEARS TO MAKE YOU CANT CALL THAT HALF-ASSD

edit:sry bout the caps

MikeReiner said:

Alright that's better. If you didn't notice, my point in arguing was that you did not provide a whole lot to back up your initial statements about Halo 2 being flawed and over-hyped and basically trashing the whole game as it sounded to me. I didn't once say that Halo 2 deserved a 10 out of 10. And yeah, your last post made things a lot clearer and I see where you're coming from now. That's all I asked was that you make a decent attempt to back up your opinions.

Ok, as for the personal shot thing, if you say it wasn't one then i'll believe you. It just looked like you were making assumptions about what i think and who i am which of course would get anyone a bit irate if it were coming from someone who didnt know them personally.

mongoman said:
BUDDY IT TOOK LIKE 4 YEARS TO MAKE YOU CANT CALL THAT HALF-ASSD

edit:sry bout the caps
The amount of time spent on it has nothing to do with it. Bare in mind, halo wasn't even a futuristic sci-fi first person shooter to begin with.. it just evolved into one.

Just because they spent 4 years, doesn't mean it wasn't half assed. Face it, halo isn't perfect, and if you cant, well, too bad. Don't get me wrong, at no point did I say halo was a "bad" game.. just not a "perfect" one..
Distortion88 said:
Alright that's better. If you didn't notice, my point in arguing was that you did not provide a whole lot to back up your initial statements about Halo 2 being flawed and over-hyped and basically trashing the whole game as it sounded to me. I didn't once say that Halo 2 deserved a 10 out of 10. And yeah, your last post made things a lot clearer and I see where you're coming from now. That's all I asked was that you make a decent attempt to back up your opinions.

Ok, as for the personal shot thing, if you say it wasn't one then i'll believe you. It just looked like you were making assumptions about what i think and who i am which of course would get anyone a bit irate if it were coming from someone who didnt know them personally.
I'm sorry man.. i'm being a little short tempered.. I didn't make it clear enough that my REAL problem was the level design..

I understand the sword is more of a fun perk, and realism isn't taken into considering much (Who the hell could run around in that armor anyway?)

Honestly, even trolls or people who bitch and moan a lot of the time online, I don't 'personally' have anything against them.. I find that amongst me, my friends, and others I know, we all have split personalities. One for the real world, one for the virtual. (internet)

We know we can say virtually anything online without any personal consequences.. but sometimes we let that go to our head (or at least I do anyway..)

To be honest, I wouldn't think halo was over hyped or over rated if it just pleased me with it's levels.. because the gameplay mechanics (ai, weapons, sounds) just all plain worked... beautifully at that.

Edit: Man.. it just hit me.. I started this whole thing just because someone said gears of war wasn't a halo killer... I feel kinda stupid.

Chill it guys. Halo isn't the perfect game...nothing is, so shush. Halo has their weak spot, like any and it's obvious.

Gears of Wars is the thread. If I hear ANY bickering against each other about Halo, I'll start giving out red cards. :mad:

Anyways, TeamXbox gave Gears a 9.6 and the Editors Choice Award. :) Man, oh how I so want to play Gears of War...Unreal Engine 3 FTW! :D

lhuser said:
Chill it guys. Halo isn't the perfect game...nothing is, so shush. Halo has their weak spot, like any and it's obvious.

Gears of Wars is the thread. If I hear ANY bickering against each other about Halo, I'll start giving out red cards. :mad:

It's been resolved, no worries.

alvino said:
Anyways, TeamXbox gave Gears a 9.6 and the Editors Choice Award. :) Man, oh how I so want to play Gears of War...Unreal Engine 3 FTW! :D

I've never seen Unreal 3 but I'm guessing the graphics must be quite impressive. There's nothing better than a game that can offer good playability and a great visual appearance (although it is difficult to comment on playability at this point cause I haven't played it yet. I'm just going by ear).

Well, I know that with the new engines, it will also mean new graphics. BTW, is UT2007 DX9 or DX10?

lhuser said:
Well, I know that with the new engines, it will also mean new graphics. BTW, is UT2007 DX9 or DX10?
9 at first. I recall epic said they would transition to 10 when the time comes, but keep 9 viable for those who don't upgrade to vista.

Back
Top Bottom