New Hard Drive - Can't Get Past POST

Kuberr

Daemon Poster
I recently bought a new hard drive (Seagate 7200.10 320GB), and I had it working. However, I was having trouble installing Ubuntu, so I decided to take a look at my partition table. I was using Partition Table Doctor, and it queried me to correct a few errors on the hard drive. Upon reboot, the computer would not get past POST.

Luckily, if I remove the new drive, the system boots up perfectly. However, no matter what configuration I use, my computer will not get past POST with both hard drives. POST recognizes both drives, but I cannot access BIOS or boot into Windows.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Did you actually get ubuntu installed? Im guessing you have damaged the partition table, or damaged the GRUB loader(if you did actually install it). In future though, if its working, dont try and fix it :) Ive had similar problems like this from Fedora Distro, i got mine up and running again by using the FIXMBR command from the recovery console.

lhuser said:
Try to boot the drive single, see what happens.

He has already done that, it says so in his first post, unless ya mean to try the new drive on its own like :)

I've tried booting the single drive by itself. Same thing, unfortunately. It recognizes the drive at POST, but I cannot access BIOS, or anything else for that matter.

Is there any way to, say, format the hard drive outside of using a computer/software?

Well, I've seen drives do this. They would hang at POST. RMA is the key, I'm afraid.

If it does come down to that, do I send it back to Newegg or to Seagate?

It's a new hard drive, so it's within the replacement period.

Kuberr said:
I've tried booting the single drive by itself. Same thing, unfortunately. It recognizes the drive at POST, but I cannot access BIOS, or anything else for that matter.

Is there any way to, say, format the hard drive outside of using a computer/software?

Have you tried doing a low level format on the drive, this sometimes sorts these things out. You can use the manufacturers diagnostic tools for this

Raffaz said:
Have you tried doing a low level format on the drive, this sometimes sorts these things out. You can use the manufacturers diagnostic tools for this

These tools only work if you can boot.

However that hard drive is hot swappable, so you can plug it in while windows is running.

Back
Top Bottom