Sharing files on a router

Jk

In Runtime
I have a Linksys router with 4 ports and a wireless-b connection. I have two computers that are wired to it. They share an internet connection and shared files. I also have zone alarm on both computers and unless the internet connnection is set to trusted then I cannot share files. Is it safe to have the internet connection trusted or is that bad?

That setting is for if you're on a large network such as for a university. Then, there would be danger of people in your network trying to hack you. But since you are just in a home network, it doesn't matter.

So even though the firewall is set to trusted it still is firewalling my connection?

Here's my suggestion. On one of the PC's go to a command prompt and type in ipconfig to find out what your private (behind the router) IP address is.

Chances are it is something like 192.168.x.x. (Where x is a number between 1 and 254) and your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

You're going to want to create a rule allowing connections on port 445 on the local network by using a network ID.

The way to tell your network ID is to take your IP address and subnet mask, line the up one on top of the other, and the part of the IP address that lines up with the 255s is your network ID.
Examples.
If
192.168.0 .5 is your IP address and
255.255.255.0 is your subnet mask, then 192.168.0.0 is the network ID

If
10 .0 .0 .25 is your IP address and
255.0 .0 .0 is your subnet mask, than 10.0.0.0 is the network ID. Unless you have numbers in your subnet mask other than 255s and 0s, the network ID will always end in a 0.

Make sure that 445 is ONLY allowed on the local network. In fact, you might want to create a rule that blocks it on all other network IDs.

Note: I think Windows 9x/ME requires ports 137-139 if I'm not mistaken. So if there are any Windows 9x or ME (God forbid!) machines on the network, you'll probably need to allow those ports in Zone Alarm.

Although I might suggest that machines running ME be thoroughly pounded with a sledgehammer just for feel-good value. Or at least have Windows 2000 installed.

ok man your gonna have to walk me through this, my ip is 192.168.1.102 and my subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, so that makes my network id 192.168.1.0 right?

do you know step by step how to make a rule on zone alarm to allow connections on port 445?

It looks like advanced options are hiddent to non pro users, so here's the easiest work around. Since this is a home LAN, it should be acceptable security-wise.

Open up Zone Alarm and go to the Firewall tab that should be on the far left side of the screen. You should see two tabs in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. Click the one that says Zones.

In the lower right-hand corner, there is an add button. Click that, and then click Subnet in the list that pops up. This will bring up the Add Subnet window. Make sure that Zone is set to "trusted."

Beside IP Address specify your Network ID. (In your case 192.168.1.0)
For the subnet mask, 255.255.255.0, and call it something simple, such as "Local Network."

Click OK and then click Apply down in the lower right-hand corner of the window.

That does not expose your machine to the Internet, as IP addresses beginning with 192.168 are reserved worldwide as private IP addresses. Your machine is effectively hidden from incoming connections by your router's NAT firewall.

Hopefully that works. I'm not really that familiar with Zone Alarm, and this is just what I figured out after downloading and installing it.

Back
Top Bottom