Strange XP easter eggs

muz

Golden Master
1)try renaming a folder "con" it will not let you rename it at all
2)go into solitare and press "ALT,SHIFT,2" then you will auto win
3) make a new text document and name it anything then type in minus quote marks "bush hid the facts" then save it and reopen it

seems microsoft don want us to conspire aginst bush or become can artists

Pretty cool stuff, I can't believe I didn't know about the solitaire one. There's another way to do that, it involes using a hex editor to create a top menu item for a string and viola! I knew how to do it that way.

have you seen the open office space invaders easter egg

there is one for minesweeper where you hit 'xyzzy' then shift+enter and a single pixel at the top left of the screen will let you know if there is a mine behind the square you mouse is on.

yeah never got that one but got a good score on minesweeper anyways

More things:
Minesweeper cheat - type XYYZ and the upper left pixel on your screen will be an indicator

Hearts cheat - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_games_tips1061.html
Lets you see all the cards

The same thing happens in notepad if you type "this app can break" or anything with that number of letters. It has to do with the fact that if text documents don't have this Byte-Order Mark thing that is basically a flag telling how the file is encoded, then it can't read the file.

There's a whole bunch more. Apparently while looking at Windows files in Notepad, someone found a signature of pirated software used.
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11183-0.html?forumID=89&threadID=173539&messageID=1765547

hey anyone use flash me and a friend found some hidden games in flash in our it lesson, just go to about and hit the dot in the I in macromedia flash 8

freestyler's right - the whole business with Bush hid the facts is an actual bug to do with Unicode encoding, and not an actual Easter egg. You can do it with similar documents as well.

I found the real story behind all of these on some site somewhere, but I can't find it now.

Anyone remember that easter egg in excell that allowed you to play that racing game with all the credits?

Back
Top Bottom