help?!

tadude

Beta member
i know im not a compute genius but im wondering if anyone can help at all. im not sure where this should have been posted either so i do apoligise.

I was recently downloading music to itunes and my computer stopped/crashed and i tried ctrl alt delete to restart but that wasnt working so i improperly shut it down, ive had to do this a few times before as it has crashed on several occasions.

when i came ot switch it back on i got a black screen with the following message

Smart could not access the following hard drive

Wanring: please recover all your documents and apply new ahrd drive immedialtely. Your hard drive is iminant.

Does anyone have a clue what that means coz im puzzled?

and what do i do im trying to do a few hardware scans but im not sur eif thats the right thing. my parents will kill me too as its a newish computer.

Cheers for your help anyone.

It means that it believes that your hard drive is dyeing, and you should replace your hard drive.

tadude said:
when i came ot switch it back on i got a black screen with the following message

Smart could not access the following hard drive

Wanring: please recover all your documents and apply new ahrd drive immedialtely. Your hard drive is iminant.

Does anyone have a clue what that means coz im puzzled?

i have never heard of a warning like that, sounds like you might have to use sfc (system file checker) to have the computer check itself and it will make sure all system files are not corrupt and are original.

but before i do that try this, boot up the computer like this...at boot up,right after you see your computer logo dissapear. keep hitting the f8 key on the keyboard...keep hitting it til you see the startup menu screen.

then choose the option > last known configure that worked

after the computer loads up, then uninstall itunes, and re-install using the cd

if it was already on the computer when you got it, then look for a program on the computer that says program restore. new compac computers have this option to restore programs & driver's incase they get deleted or corrupted.

DJ-CHRIS said:
It means that it believes that your hard drive is dyeing, and you should replace your hard drive.
That is precisely what it means.

S.M.A.R.T. (System Monitoring And Reporting Tool) monitors your hard drives and reports imminent drive failure.
tadude said:
.......my parents will kill me too as its a newish computer.

You have done nothing wrong so don't worry about your parents, it is a fact of life some drives die. If it is that new (less than 12 months old, but may vary depending on the brand) the hard drive should still be under warranty.

ADVICE: Do not use the pc more than is necessary untill you are ready to replace the drive, every time you start it with a failing drive could well be the last time it boots. Get a replacement drive and transfer your data or back up your critical data to DVD disks.

~mr mixx~ said:
i have never heard of a warning like that, sounds like you might have to use sfc (system file checker) to have the computer check itself and it will make sure all system files are not corrupt and are original....
It is not software related, it is totally hardware, it runs from the bios which is before any software is loaded. You may not have seen this before for a couple of reasons:

1/. You've not had a drive fail.
2/. A failed drive may not have supported S.M.A.R.T.
3/. S.M.A.R.T. is/was disabled in the bios.

Back
Top Bottom