Need help with my website

I wouldn't hand stuff like that out to anyone who asks.

I could lie to you right now and tell you that I'm a master at php. But I won't lie to you.

I was just about to say the same thing.

I don't really have time right now to work on your site (what with 18 credit hours and all), but you should be careful about who you give control panel passwords out to. You could easily end up causing yourself a lot of headaches and grief.

To be honest i do not want to be paying to modify a turnkey website, i just need someone to add all the features i need.

Your best bet is probably going to be giving a go at it yourself. Look into some basic PHP/MySQL tutorials, and dive right in. If you run into problems along the way, post them here.

Worst that happens is that you learn some new things along the way, and you will then be able to do all the modifications you want to your site. :)

What i want to do is add profile attributes, for example eye colour, hair colour, turn ons, turn offs, interests etc, the only thing i don't know is, what pages do i need to change, do i just change the sign up page or profile page aswell?

You would have to change the page that the users use to either initially submit their profile, or the page that they edit it with. You would also have to edit the page that displays the profile. The idea is that the user is submitting information to the MySQL database when they edit/submit their profile. So you have to add the correct fields for them to fill in, then make sure those new fields get submitted to the database. After that you have to pull that newly submitted information out of the database, and display it on the users profile page.

Well, the queries would be submitted to the database from the page that the user enters their data from...

--Profile Page --> MySQL DB --> View Profile Page

That is kind of the general gist of it. So when the user enters their profile details, and clicks submit, that data will be stored in the appropriate database table and field. When someone then goes to view that profile, the data is pulled from the database, and put into the page they are viewing.

I will elaborate a little further. Say, for example, the user enters their eye color as "blue" in a text field named "eye_color". In your SQL query, you will want to send the "eye_color" text field to your sql database and store it in a field called (for example) "EyeColor".

Obviously you are going to have to modify your database structure to add fields for eye color, interests, etc. A good tool for that is phpMyAdmin, which is usually included with cpanel.

Back
Top Bottom