Need a new PSU

d_source

Daemon Poster
Hi Everyone. I have been running the system in my sig with a generic power supply (450W) for a while now. The first one died before the warantee ended so they gave me a new free one, and after about 6months to a year the 2nd feels like its dying too. So i want to upgrade the PSU. But no generic PSU will do anymore. The best brands (from what i hear) are Antec and Enermax.
Here is a list of what i would want:
-Needs to be at least 500W
-2x PCIe connectors b/c i have 2 vid cards
-Sata connectors
-24 pin

Nice to have:
-120nm fan (i beleive i read somewhere that this is supposed to be better than dual fans???)
-modular cables would be nice

I have been looking and have found these in my price range (don't want to go too much over $100CAD after taxes)
Antec True Power 2.0 550w
Enermax EG565P-VE (FMA) All-in-One 535w Power Supply

I also read somewhere that Antec PSUs have issues when combined with ASUS mobos...is this true?

Any recommendations on other PSUs (within the same price range) would be helpful and reviews on these 2 would be great.

i run the Antic True Power 2.0 550w i is the best out there and you can run some much off of it.

cons are the cable are real long and a lot of them so if you are running a mid size case find a way to bunch them up so it dose not interfere with air flow (>my< problem)

Seasonic are axcellent, and antec are decent aswell, i use nothing but these 2 and never had a failure

ownage said:
Thats the same thing as the OCZ GameXstream 600W. Its a decent powersupply, but you can do better for the money.

True, but I was in a rush to get a new psu because my old one gave up on me, and this was the only reasonable model that shops near me had in stock.
Normally I wouldn't have minded to wait and order exactly what I want online, but it was right before an exam, and I really needed my pc :(

Thanks for your responses eveyone:

Raffaz, Have you ever heard of Antec having problems with Asus mobo's? I see your currently using the seasonic PSU with urs now. I have seen seasonic out there while searching and didnt really think they were a good brand, but after reading reviews they look to be top notch like Antec. However they do seem to be a bit more expnsive.

ownage, the silverstone PSU looks good. How good is this brand compared to the big boys? Price seems reasonable but i would have to see if i can find it in Canada, since this company doesnt ship here. Plus the cost of shipping kills the deal on this one.

d52477001, a bit out of my price range.

Does OCZ make good PSUs? What about Ultra? I see that brand all over tigerdirect and i am sure they'll have a good sale on a decent Ultra PSU in the near future. Is Ultra a brand i should consider or stay away from? I hear Thermaltake makes a good cheaper brand, but they are louder than others? How loud would it be compared to some generic PSU i have in there now (which i can hear from my first floor and my PC is on the 2nd floor).

THX.

Back
Top Bottom