Thinking of buying an corsair 520w psu

Jk

In Runtime
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817139001

This is the psu im thinking of buying but its fairly new and I can't find any reviews or anything on it. My stock case psu burnt out and im looking for a new one, i thought that i might as well go modular too. If anyone knows about this psu let me know what you think about it, or if you know of a better psu then tell me about it.

I'm going assume your system is in your sig.

You not need to spend 129 on this PSU. Your system isn't demanding enough to require it.

Simply get a good 400 or so watt PSU with active PFC protection.

This would be more then enough for what you have

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817709002

If you were running SLI or a high end GPU with high CPU and etc i'd say then the 129 is worth the money, But unless you are intending on a mega upgrade in the near future I would do it.

i plan on getting a 7800gt by december so will 400w be enough for that? And i forgot to change the sig but i put another 40gig ide drive in the computer. (not sure if that matters) Im new to buying psu's so im not really sure what i need.

My suggestion is to allways go a little more than what you need, because you never know if you might upgrade in the future, better processor etc... If you get a ps that has more than what you NEED and decide to upgrade in the future you wont need to upgrade the ps as well. The system im building I put a 600w in, but may end up needing the extra power later.

Well i already saved up the 140 for the corsair but I just asked around to see if it was worth it. looking at the reviews it looks like the corsair is better, it has a more stable voltage under load, and a better efficiency percentage. The silverstone does have more amps on the 5v and the 3.3v but I dont really need that do I?

jonnyGURU said:
Now I come to find out, after looking closely at the PCB and speaking with individuals at Corsair, that the PSU actually DOES NOT follow ATX12V specifications and that I was wrong about the rail distribution AGAIN!

Thats the thing that makes me stray away from the corsair psu. Like the OCZ GameXstream (which has ripple through the roof), it doesnt follow ATX specs. But if you are willing to spend 140 on a psu, might as well get a good one, like the Corsair 620HX instead of the 520. Sure, 520 is good enough, but it is worth it to get a little beefier powersupply.

So if it dosent follow atx12v specs what does that mean? What does that cause? Is the 620 more stable and or better quality than the 520 or can it just handle more hardware?

Back
Top Bottom