failing PSU?

compguy91

Fully Optimized
My brother has an emachines PC (about 3 or 4 years old) and everything was working fine until he turned the PC off and then turned it on again a little later. Nothing happens when we turn it on. I tried opening up the case and turning it on to make sure there was power getting somewhere and all that happened was the CPU fan spun a little bit but then stopped. Could the PSU on his computer be dead? or is it something else?

It sounds like the PSU may very well be dead. What you're going to have to try is the classic test of unplugging parts one by one until you figure out what the problem is.

Borrow a PSU off someone if you can and test ya computer with that one in.

Do this, take out your PSU plug in have the power turned off. Take out a paper clip, stick one end in the green wire, the other in the black turn it on. If it doesn't work try a different combination you gotta find the switch. (On the MOBO power this is)

Or do a barebone bootup.

I've seen countless times poeple go "PSU fried" when in fact it was somthing else, it could be a lighting strike hit your internet box, traveled through the cable and into the MOBO or NIC card frying it.

Its going be trail and error.

Normally PSUs either blow up, or die out slowly.

I tried using the PSU from my computer and it worked. The PSU is dead. Also Nik, doubtful that lightening did it because it hasn't rained here in about 3 weeks :) we live in a desert.... I think that the PSU just died because 1) it's an emachines and i've heard that the PSU's in them don't last long and 2) the computer is 4 or 5 years old. I also did try with the PSU inside one more time, and didn't get anything where as before I got a little spin from the CPU fan, when I tried it again nothing happened.

thanks for your help guys.

Back
Top Bottom