Different OS. Need install help.

VirtualDrone

In Runtime
Okay right now I got xp but I want to put on a new os. The xp is installed on a 160gb hd and I have another 20gb hd. Is there someway to replaced the current os with the different os without losing any info?

If it's Windows, it will just delete the Windows folder and write the new one.

lhuser said:
If it's Windows, it will just delete the Windows folder and write the new one.
yeah i want to install windows tiny beast. are you sure? and do i just boot from disk and install it like i normally would?

VirtualDrone said:
yeah i want to install windows tiny beast. are you sure? and do i just boot from disk and install it like i normally would?

yep, as long as u don't delete the partition all of the files will be there. U will need to install programs again though, since after installing a new windows the registry is gone.

mammikoura said:
yep, as long as u don't delete the partition all of the files will be there. U will need to install programs again though, since after installing a new windows the registry is gone.
what do you mean I will have to install programs again? like the program folder or what?

VirtualDrone said:
what do you mean I will have to install programs again? like the program folder or what?

for example u have installed the game battlefield 2 on ur computer. Now u install a new windows in there. Then u try to run bf 2 and it will not work. U will have to reinstall the game, and then it will start working.

mammikoura said:
for example u have installed the game battlefield 2 on ur computer. Now u install a new windows in there. Then u try to run bf 2 and it will not work. U will have to reinstall the game, and then it will start working.
okay i am confused now. does my whole hard drive get wiped? cause i don't have any cds for anything so would i have to find the cds or whatever? and what if i have a folder of music or movies, will that get wiped?

VirtualDrone said:
okay i am confused now. does my whole hard drive get wiped? cause i don't have any cds for anything so would i have to find the cds or whatever? and what if i have a folder of music or movies, will that get wiped?

hdd won't get wiped if u don't delete the partition. All of the files will be there, but when u install windows it will overwrite the registry file. All movies, music etc will work. Most of the software does need to be reinstalled, so u will need the disc for ur games and stuff like that.

I'm not sure if there is a way around this, someone might come up with something, maybe just copying the registry?

Back
Top Bottom