Laptop crashes when plug in ADSL cable...

rsumner

Beta member
Hi!

I'm having trouble connecting to the internet with my Acer Aspire laptop using an ADSL cable coming from a router.

The account username and password are set up. When I insert the ADSL ethernet cable in to my laptop, and click 'Connect' in the dial up box, it goes through the dialling, check password etc, and in 2 seconds, I am online, and it shows as connected in the bottom right of the screen, with the speed (100Mps).

Then, my laptop just freezes. The mouse won't move, and everything is frozen. not even the Ctrl Alt Del works. I've left it at least 20 minutes and nothing happens so I have to reset. On re-startup, it goes to a blue screen and prompts to run a file check of FAT 32(?).

Have tried this a few times, all with the same result. I usually connect via WIFI at home, but I am in Beijing for 2 weeks, using a friends internet cable. Works fine on his laptop (this one- ThinkPad X41) so not the internet thats causing the problem. Have connected to the interent via cable before in England with no such probs (although that was with a USB cable - not sure if that makes any difference?)

If anyone could help, I'd be so grateful - really need my laptop. I'm using Windows XP, and have the basic Norton Security service that comes on a free trial basis with most new laptops.

Thanks in hope...

Richie.

what OS are you running ? are you getting the BSOD or blue screen of death of the windows 98se or 2000 version ? or are you getting the dark blue screen of death by windows xp ? if it's the 98 or 2000 version, i would move up to XP.

if it's the dark blue screen of death on XP, then you might want to do a SFC system file checker scan at boot up. you might have to boot up to safemode and run a cleaner like CC cleaner to fix this.

it could be that it's a virus that could be doing that also / it could be a driver error...ect. write down the exact words on the error and post it in here or google a fix for the error.

example: if it's an error 000000000xfc , then copy the # and put that number into the search box on the Micro$oft web site for a fix.

thanks for your reply.

i don't get an error message at all - everything just freezes the exact moment that i connect to the internet.

i'm running windows XP, 2002 version. i don't get the BSOD - just everything freezing. i then have to reset the laptop, and on reboot there is a system file check on a light blue screen background.

i've run norton and adaware and nothing suspicious is at work.

hope that this clarifies...?

just been playing around, and it seems that i can connect ok, so long as i do not open IE. not much use, but shows that the connection is ok.

but, as soon as i open IE, the browser window opens, still blank, and then the whole computer just freezes.

i have viewed the error logs and it shows WIN32 a few times - not sure what this is?

Back
Top Bottom