Newbie needs windows help

connect417

Solid State Member
Newbie needs windows help (No desktop)

Hey guys I posted yesterday about my new eMachines T5212 with Windows XP Media Center. I took care of all the setup. Today I installed my SBC/AT&T DSL. It worked fine for a while but then I closed it out and shut down the computer, I turn the computer back on and when my desktop comes up it looks normal, but then like 5 seconds later all of my icons and my bottom bar with the start menu disappear. I tryed using the start button on the keyboard and it doesnt work either. I shut it down using Crtl/Alt/Delete and it did the same. I did it again except this time I clicked on my browser button really fast, the icons and bar disappear but my browser does pop up and thats how I'm asking you guys this question. I do have the "Operating System Disc" would that fix it. The instructions on the disc say
-To re-install the operating system:
Insert this disc, close all programs, restart your computer, then follow the on-screen instructions.
Is this all it takes? Or do I need to do something else? :(

I would say to first try to do just a simple system restore. Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. Restore it back a day or 2. If you cant click on the start menu then just click the windows key+R. This will open run and type in Msconfig. From there on the general page on the bottom click on Launch System Restore. Same take it back a day or 2. Try that out and let us know how it treats ya.

I already did a restore back to yesterday. It did nothing it just got rid of my SBC/AT&T DSL so that may not be the problem. I also uninstalled the McAfee trial it came with and that didnt do anything either. :(

In Task Manager, try opening a new explorer.exe process.

If it fails again, you will most likely have to reformat and reinstall Windows. It's a new install, so it doesn't have any important files, right?

Also, if you do choose to reinstall, make sure you install ALL Windows Updates before browsing.

Back
Top Bottom