"Performance Theory" Opinions please..

:eek:

Well.... Lol man. Im not sure about that, if its a 5400rpm...

But you never know.

Seems to me using that drive for the VM would be about the same as using a regular drive for everything at 7200rpm..

I have my doubts about a performance boost, if anything at all.

Yea, thats what I figured, but wasnt sure about it so thats why I wanted some opinions. What about a flash drive? Same Idea, but USB 2.0 flash drive 2GB?

Well, I have 1GB of RAM and page file is off. It's not hogging up my RAM at all.

Wait.. Are you talking about an actual thumb stick? Or one of those removeable usb hard drives?

I would give it a go on a thumb stick. However, not a removable hard drive. Those run typically at only 4200rpm. Thats what my 4gb on does..

But realistically I would give the 6gb hard drive a go. Cant hurt anything. Most new motherboard dont come with IDE though, do they? Im not sure.. But yeah, give the hard drive a go. I mean even if there is no performance boost, it still makes your main drive just that much faster right? And as a test I would try a thumb stick. Although if your talking about a mini harddrve, im going to give you a thumb's down..

Yea, I know it normally doesnt with most apps, but I do alot of software/web programming and while doing so (web programming) I am allways running photoshop CS2 and doing graphics design while coding lol most of the apps require 256+ ram to run and I usually have 2-3 instances of each running, so when Im doing that I need the extra performance, which is also why im building a new system. The new one will be strictly for gaming, but the one I am currently running will be for the multitasking.

And yes, I was refering to a thumb drive.

Thumb drives tend to warm up pretty good, im not sure how long they can sustain the heat.

ArrizX said:
Wait.. Are you talking about an actual thumb stick? Or one of those removeable usb hard drives?

I would give it a go on a thumb stick. However, not a removable hard drive. Those run typically at only 4200rpm. Thats what my 4gb on does..

But realistically I would give the 6gb hard drive a go. Cant hurt anything. Most new motherboard dont come with IDE though, do they? Im not sure.. But yeah, give the hard drive a go. I mean even if there is no performance boost, it still makes your main drive just that much faster right? And as a test I would try a thumb stick. Although if your talking about a mini harddrve, im going to give you a thumb's down..

USB drive for a pagefile will be even slower.

Let it burn!!! LOL I dont care if it gets hot, like I said, its a test, who knows if it will or will not work, besides, the thumb drive I will be using is a cheapo one and I got it for free compliments of microcenter!

Back
Top Bottom