RAM help needed

The Sheep

In Runtime
I'm not too bad in general, but on this topic I have no idea what I'm talking about I'm afraid!

I want to ungrade my RAM, but I am a bit baffled by the options. I currently have 256mb, with 1 free slot (I think) The problem is, there seem to be a lot of different types (different amount of pins, DDR SD?). I think there is also another figure to take into account, apart from the size. Is there any way to find out what I've got?

Once I know what I have already, would it be possible to buy a 512mb and run it with my old one, or do they both have to be the same size?

I'm currently at work, so I haven't got my computer specs to hand at the moment, but it is a Dell Dimension if that helps.

Thanks very much.

Download this..

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Run it, and open the "memory" tab..then, it will say either DDR, DDR2, SDRAM, etc et..then tell us which one it is..

No, you can have different memory sizes, but if you choose different speeds, it can only run as fast as the slowest speed..

OK, thanks for that link. This is what it is telling me:

Under the memory tab
Type DDR
Size 256 MB
Frequency 133.2 MHz
FSB DRAM 3.4
CAS#Latency 2.0 clocks
RAS to CAS#Delay 3 clocks
Cycle time (Tras) 6 clocks
DRAM Idle Timer 16 clocks

Under SPD
Slot #1 DDR
Slot #2 Empty
Module size 256 MB
Max bandwidth PC2700 (166 MHz)

Also part number etc.

Sorry if that's too much/not enough info!

If you want to know what options you have then just goto www.crucial.com and you can enter ya computer info in, then it will tell ya what options are available.

OK, thanks, but I still have a couple of questions :confused:

I'm thinking the PC2700 (166MHz) may not be fast, as I've has this computer 3 years. So.. is it important? I'm not quite sure what it means. Can I get faster, or is that a motherboard limit thing? If it's a RAM thing, I may get a 512mb to replace it, and then get another for the other slot? I'm thinking it may be the speed that the RAM responds at? Like graphics cards? I know they have a memory number, plus another number, which is how fast they respond.

Sorry that ran in to one paragraph.

Back
Top Bottom