Help Me , I Cant Get Rid Of Xp

pipsavage

Solid State Member
hi , ive had xp installed for a long time now and over time its got worse and slower and now it s slow as anything. I got a 1 gig ram , pentium 4 3.2 with a Ge-force 6600 gt card. How do i uninstall xp. Ive looked on other sites and it says that if you have win 98 installed befor it , which i dont. I just hve xp an thats it. Can someone plz help as im goin round in circles and im about to sling it against a wall or sumthin. lol

also if i ever do get rid of xp would it be smarter just to stick to 98 as its soooooo much easier to get rids of , what do you lot think.

Hey , cheers for the site , i already saw that though , Anyways , i can reinstall it fine , its just actually gettin rid of it that i cant do.

Well, you just need to delete the partition that it is currently on, then, re-partition your HDD, and install XP to the new partition.

Ive tried that a few times. Its like this, I managed to get two instalations of xp on my comp so when you start it up it asks which on to go for. So when i try to format my drive with windows on it , it says this...

format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. format mayu run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
would you like to force dismount on this volume.
(y/n)

i press yes and then.....

cannot lock the drive the volume is still in use.

Also i cant use fdisk.... it says wrong dos version

All i want is a quick way to erase my hard drive like on 98, is there no easy way to do this....

If you boot from your XP cd. And then tell it you want to install XP, it will have a screen there were you can delete partitions, you need to delete all partitions and then create them again and tell XP to install in your newly created partition.

Well sometimes if i get lazy and dont want to boot into any crappy CD's and i just want to delete the partitions on my drive. I simply put the drive i was formated into another PC (set it to slave) and then log into the hard drive that is already there in the machine, Then follow these steps- Right click on MY COMPUTER - Manage - Disk Managment - there you will see the 2 hard drive. Simply right click on it then click Delete Partition. DONE...

i always use system rescue to manage partitions on my harddrive. It is linux based and seems to do the trick every time. You just need to download it and burn it onto a disc to use then you boot off it. http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page It's always an option to try if you want.

Back
Top Bottom