Opty or Athlon64

D-Lew

Fully Optimized
Okay, so my brother who is on here, THEpiGUY, recently got a stop 0x50 error and we think it's the processor. Both of us have always been interested in the 939 optys but he originally got a 4000+ (or FX-53). He's planning on getting a 3800+ to replace it (stock 2.4GHz and probably OC's to 2.8) but we also noticed the Opteron 146 is the same price on newegg. It's 2.0GHz stock and some people have gotten it to 2.9GHz. But keep in mind he's on air cooling, Arctic Cooling Freezer64 Pro. What do you think? Post your thoughts when you vote, both of us do not know much about the optys. Also it may be a good time to mention he's on XP Pro X64, not Home.

Also, opinions on why he's getting the 0x50 would be useful, too. It doesn't seem to be the DRAM because we ran many different sticks in it unsuccessfully. So basically does that narrow it to vid card RAM or CPU? Pretty sure it's not a software problem, and he can't reinstall Windows, gets the BSOD when he boots from CD.

go with the opteron. Itll get to 2.6Ghz on air depending on your chip and maybe higher if luck is on your side. But overall, it'll oc higher than the 3800+ by 100~200mhz.

3800+.. are we talking the single or dual core?.. I recall that the 146 opteron is a single core.

We're talking single core. The 3800+ that's 2.4GHz stock w/512MB L2 I think.

He was running the 4000+ at 2800MHz stable on air cooling earlier. If it's a gamble to get it that high with the opty, then I think he should go with the 3800+. What do you think?
And Mike, we've run 3 different sticks of RAM in there and it's still the error. It BSOD's a few seconds after you turn it on or when you access the Windows installation in recovery console. There are also some corrupted system 32 files but we can't repair them since it BSODs first.

Back
Top Bottom