Mixing ram

Clutch1

In Runtime
Can I mix two different types of ram together? I'm looking at a barebones kit which includes 512 of ddr-400 ram and want to take the ddr sdram from my existing tower and use both together. Would that work or cause problems?

yes but if the old ram is a lower speed than the ddr 400... the 400 ram will lower itself to the speed of the old ram. but it should work fine together

Bob94571 said:
yes but if the old ram is a lower speed than the ddr 400... the 400 ram will lower itself to the speed of the old ram. but it should work fine together

Well, it'll still be faster than using 512mb, right?

I'd advise on using just the ddr-400. Mixing memory generally causes stability problems. I'm not exactly clear on what you're saying, but I don't know if both these sticks are the same. Make sure it's the same number of pins (i.e. 184).

freestyler105 said:
I'd advise on using just the ddr-400. Mixing memory generally causes stability problems. I'm not exactly clear on what you're saying, but I don't know if both these sticks are the same. Make sure it's the same number of pins (i.e. 184).

Saying they will both plug into the motherboard, would putting a 512mb ddr-400 and a 512mb ddr-sd ram into the same computer work to increase speed or not?

those are two totally different types of ram from what you wrote. and you can get like 512 of ddr (double data) as opposed to sd (single) for around 20 bucks on many sites now a days. if it is set up for ddr it might just ignore any sd stick that you put on there anyway. so you could potentially not see any performance improvement with that sd added to it. just go to newegg.com and see what they have on sale dude.

helpdeskian said:
those are two totally different types of ram from what you wrote. and you can get like 512 of ddr (double data) as opposed to sd (single) for around 20 bucks on many sites now a days. if it is set up for ddr it might just ignore any sd stick that you put on there anyway. so you could potentially not see any performance improvement with that sd added to it. just go to newegg.com and see what they have on sale dude.

Thank you. That's what I was trying to find out. I was just seeing if I could save a few bucks or not.

Back
Top Bottom