Laptop Processor Decisions

Brian_Fenner

In Runtime
I am going to order a custom built laptop for my wife for Christmas.........I've decided on the HP DV6000 series for various reasons.
Please give me your opinion of the following choices of processors for this laptop............money is sort of tight so I want good performance but don't want to spend more than I have to. It will be running XP Media Center with a free upgrade to Vista home premium. 80GB HD, 1 GB RAM.

Any help appreciated...........Thanks!

Mobile AMD Sempron(TM) 3400+ (1.80GHz/256KB)
Included in price

Mobile AMD Sempron(TM) 3500+ (1.80GHz/512KB)
+$20.00

AMD Turion(TM) 64 Mobile MK-36 (2.0 GHz/512KB)
+$60.00

AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2 Dual-Core TL-50(1.6GHz/256KB)
+$100.00

AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2 Dual-Core TL-52(1.6GHz/512KB)
Exceptional performance, power, and reliability.
+$125.00

Intel(R) Celeron(R) M Processor 420 (1.60 GHz)
Included in price

Intel(R) Celeron(R) M Processor 430 (1.73 GHz)
+$10.00

Intel(R) Core(TM) Solo processor T1350 (1.86 GHz)
+$60.00

Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo processor T2050 (1.60 GHz)
+$120.00

Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo processor T2250 (1.73 GHz)
+$145.00

We really need to know what trhe computer is going to be used for.

If you want to multitask (use say Word, IM, E-mail, and browse the internet at the same time) go for the Core2Duo processor. You will notice a significant difference.

If there isn't going to be much multitasking going on, the included in price (Sempron 3400+) should be fine for basic apps (Word, IM, E-mail, and browse the internet). If you do want to upgrade it, however, I'd recommend the Turion MK-36.

Thanks for your input...........

The laptop will be used for some multi-tasking.........
It's a Media Center so there will be video, audio, and Office 2003 applications in addition to IE with possibly several running at the same time.

I don't mind upgrading some but the dual-core processors start to get into more mony than I care to spend on the package. Wish I won the lottery so it would be a no-brainer! :D

intel core duo and core 2 duo are the best mobile processors out there. They have no competition in the mobile market. AMD's turion doesnt come close.

So it sounds like you guys are highly recommending going with dual core even at the $100+ premium.
Looks like you both recommend the Intel Duo over AMD Turion D-C...........
Looks like I need to cough up more $$ ;)

Any other comments welcome.............I plan to order early next week.

Thanks for your input!

well you could give me your budget and i could build you one from HP. HP is a good choice for laptops btw.

browserjoe said:
well you could give me your budget and i could build you one from HP. HP is a good choice for laptops btw.

:D
Don't ya wish...........hehee.

Yea I like HP alot more than Dell, that's for sure. The DV series is sweet.....even the case is awesome......a very high polished gloss that has "depth".
Dang, I'm jealous.........I'm getting this for my wife! Hopefully she'll let me use it too! :p

BTW - I've decided to get the "Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo processor T2050 (1.60 GHz) ".

HP IMPRINT Finish
This next-generation consumer notebook PC represents Hewlett-Packard's leadership in industrial design and technology. HP Imprint finish offers a smooth, high-gloss coating with a unique, inlaid design which provides provides greater durability than HP's traditional paint process. The In-mold design is a mature technology currently used on other consumer products including cell phone casings, cosmetic packaging, home appliances and car interiors. HP is the first to adapt this technology to a notebook form factor.

Thanks............but the Core 2 Duo is out of my price range.
It adds another $100+ on top of the additional $120 for the Duo ($220 total).

I have to draw the line somewhere. ;)

Back
Top Bottom